Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 775 overclocked (How fast is still stable)

edited June 2007 in Hardware
Has anyone overclocked the Quad-core Q6600 2.4GHz 775? If so, how fast have you been able to push it and still maintain system stability?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Hello,

That will depend on voltage supplied to the CPU...2.6 - 2.8 maybe on stock voltage sometimes (depends on the chip).

I have seen the 6600 running over 4GHz with the right cooling.
  • edited June 2007
    Yeah, like RyderOCZ said, it all depends on the right cooling. For air cooling, I've heard that 3.2-3.4 is approaching the limits of stability. Water will give you more headroom and if you got with phase or high power peltier cooling 4 GHz is reachable.
  • edited June 2007
    This is the system I am getting.

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz Q6600 Quad Core Processor
    EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
    EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual DVI Video
    4GB DDR2 800 Memory 4-4-4-12
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2007
    Thats going to be an awesome setup, Dave :thumbsup:

In regards to overclocking, high FSB is more difficult to acheive with a quad core intel, but you should still be able to get a decent amount of headroom out of it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, you should be able to get 425 or 450MHz on the FSB
  • edited June 2007
    We'll see. I should have its ready to test by mid-week. It has to be stable because I will be using it for graphics and video.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Nice system coming your way!
  • edited June 2007
    Hey do any of you know of a recent book (2006 or 07) or online guide that will give me the step by step on how to build one of these puppies myself?

I think after this current purchase I want to build my next hypermachine, but most of the books I have seen are more than 2 years old, and in this business that is a long time.

I always wanted to do a cost comparison to see what the savings would be.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Stuff only fits one way. That's what I tell everyone to get them started, along with if the numbers match, it will work in most cases. Just be sure to not skimp on a power supply, and don't be scared of changing tech. In six months, the computer you choose will be obsolete.