What do you do with your computer while away?

NYCDrewNYCDrew NYC(duh)
edited June 2007 in Hardware
I'm curious what everyone does with their computer when they're away from it for a while. Do you shut your computer down when you go to sleep? Do you put it in standby while you're at work or school? Do you see the time you're away from your computer as prime folding time?

I do a variety of different things based on the temperature of the room, how long I'm going to be away from the computer, and what I was doing on the computer before I walked away.

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    if i'm gone more than 3 days i'll turn it off...otherwise its folding 24/7.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    My computer is running a Civ4 PTBS game server 24/7.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I drop it into an S3 state.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I either Fold or freeze it in carbonite, depending on my whim.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    My computers stay on 24/7 I never switch them off.
    They get a restart every now and then for updates and stuff, otherwise they Fold

Sometimes when they haven't had attention for long stretches of time they get bored and start playing up or get naughty. I give them a timeout by disconnecting them from the network. Nothing like a bit of solitary confinement away from their brothers and sisters to get them to toe the line again.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    folding 24/7, although I don't remember the last time I was gone from home for more than 2 or 3 days at a time.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    It goes off, and power strip as well... I am penny pinching.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited June 2007
    24/7 to Fold and download but lately my grandparents have been shutting it off when I leave the house.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited June 2007
    24/7 folding - just reboot for updates and cleaning purposes :)
  • edited June 2007
    1st pc up and running 24/7 for folding and downloading.
    2nd pc shuts down only when i go to sleeps. When i am away i have it folding
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    All of my computers are 24/7 machines. None are down for periods longer than two hours.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    FOLD 24x7

I even hate to shut them down for maint. work.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    My computer runs pretty much 24/7, it's set to go to sleep should it experience any inactivity that lasts 60 mins or more. That happens maybe a couple times a month.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited June 2007
    :smokin:
    Fold, fold, fold.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited June 2007
    I put 12 or so to sleep just recently. The remainder, around 18 or 20 run 24/7 folding, whether i'm home or not.
    Ofcourse the priority machine is SM27.
  • edited June 2007
    never leave it on for longer then 3 hours while I am away or not working at it Think future generations, conserve energy, save planet...

;)
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Developer wrote:
    never leave it on for longer then 3 hours while I am away or not working at it Think future generations, conserve energy, save planet...

;)

Get an efficient system then.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited June 2007
    24/7 all seven of them Folding:D unless we are away for a prolonged period
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2007
    I Fold my PCs almost every second they are on, but we’re in the time of year where the temperatures can get up to a buck-twenty (120F) and it’s competition season for swimming where we travel a lot. So I back off overclocking this time of year and will shut down regularly or when I travel. The weather can almost double my power bill if I leave my rigs running. I generally have someone watch my machines while I’m away, but that person is also out much of this summer.

So far it's been a good year and I've done much better this month than last year. But we're climbing over 110F now and going to competitions- so I'll be sporadically vanishing. Come late Octoberish, I’ll probably start to turn it on again as the heat from the PCs actually can be a help (and I look forward to maybe having a nice Quad and PS3 to help out too :D )
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Think future generations, conserve energy, save planet...
    Thanks for posting. I think though, that you don't understand what we mean when we say "Folding." Folding is a distributed computing program that models the folding of human protein molecules under different chemical conditions. Out of Stanford University, the Folding program has won numerous awards and is considered to be cutting edge research focused on finding human cellular conditions that lead to degenerative diseases such as cancer and alzheimers. Trust me, we don't just leave our computers for the sake of leaving them on. I would be perfectly content to lower my month electric bill by shutting down my machines when I'm not using them, but advanced science in this case requires massive computing power.

Folding@Home
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2007
    My computer generally runs 24/7 to fold and download. It gets shut down some nights though.
  • edited June 2007
    My systems pretty much stay running 24/7/365.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2007
    All of mine stay running, unless mother nature says otherwise.