What do you do if your heatsinks base isnt flat?

sweavesweave boston
edited June 2007 in Hardware
Havent ordered one yet but i keep reading reviews where people mention that their heatsinks base isnt flat and they have to fix it themselves.
what sort of equipment would one need?

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    sand paper
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited June 2007
    seriously thats it?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Equipment? Can't speak to that, but you can flatten it by using sandpaper. Start with fine grain and end with ultra-fine. Wet-dry sandpaper is better. Lay the sandpaper down on a smooth, completely level surface, drop a little water on it, and move rotate the base of the heatsink on the paper in a circular motion. The water will keep the friction from heating up the sink and possible causing difficult scratches.

If you really have to work the sink hard to get it flat, consider taping the sides of the sandpaper to the flat surface with duct tape. That way you won't have expend any energy holding the paper in place.

Use some type of straight edge - absolutely straight, to determine when your work is satisfactory.

I'm not an expert at it, but the method I describes has worked well for me.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Lapping compound could be another option. Or... take it back!
    If you've read a review that says it's no good, why are you still considering it?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited June 2007
    I use around 1600 grit wet/dry with some water. Finishing off with 2000 grit.
    For a flat surface i use my wife's glass cutting board. Don't try and rush it.
    Once it is done, i use this to clean it and put some good stuff in betwen the proc and heatsink.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Take your time.
    I only use wet paper with water and a tiny amount of soap as lube.
    Work on a glass plate.
    You want uniform scratches all in one direction. Then you should be able to turn it 90deg and in a couple of strokes have all of the scratches in the new direction.
    When I move to a finer grit I clean the surface and color it with marker. Then after the first stroke I can look to see if it is flat.

You don't need a mirror finish for it to work. Flat is more important. Your compound will work fine on a flat surface with uniform small scratches.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Or, you can do it the fast, and still efficent way. 2000 grain sandpaper on a power sander. Takes seconds.
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited June 2007
    IndigoRed wrote:
    Lapping compound could be another option. Or... take it back!
    If you've read a review that says it's no good, why are you still considering it?

i'm not
    i was talking in general about problems i've seen across various models
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited June 2007
    thanks for the replies everyone
    it seems easier than i thought and i have all the supplies already on hand :D
  • edited June 2007
    If you are looking to get a turnkey solution of glass, paper and instructions, I've heard nothing but good stuff about these Easy PC Kits heatsink lapping kits. It includes glass and sandpaper. It also includes some Arctic Silver Ceramique, which is a good thermal interface material. :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007