Drive hangs computer

edited July 2007 in Hardware
Hey i was wondering if anyone can help me fix this problem i have a seagate serial ata drive that is refurbished and when i put it into my external enclosure it hangs my computer and when i turn it off it the hang stops and ive also check to see if its my enclosure but its not cause i put another drive in there, also its not the serial ata pci card cause im also using it for my hot swap drive. But when i put the refurbished drive into my hot swap it doesnt hang the computer so does anyone got an idea why this is happening or how to fix it.

Computer Spec:
p4 core 2 duo 1.8gh
1 gig ram
x1600 radeon pro

serial ata pci card controller for external and for the hot swap drive.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    So as I understand it every other combination works fine except *that* drive in *that* enclosure. Are you booting your computer with this drive powered on or off? It's possible that your computer is scanning it for a boot partition and causing the hangup. If that is the case just leave the drive powered off until everything is loaded.

If that's not the case and it's hanging your system once you are fully booted into your OS try disabling auto-play. Often it'll scan the drive looking for various media, which can take a long time.
  • edited June 2007
    Well my computer is still hanging even if auto play isnt on and theres nothing in the hard drive to make it go auto play so any other clue? and im not booting from the drive and my computer is already booted up and everything loaded it just when i use that hard drive in the enclosure i turn it on it hangs my comp. but when i turn it off my computer runs again so i got no clue whats goin on =/
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    not sure honestly, if other drives in that enclosure are working fine and that drive installed normally works fine I'm stumped.
  • edited June 2007
    Dang, well hopefully seagate will send me a email and see if they can solve this if not then its gg, well i was just goin to use this HD for MULTI OS just trying to learn linux and mac but no big deal got it for $30 for 250gb
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Some drive enclosures are limited as to the capacity and brand of the installed hard drive. I have an older enclosure, which has always been an excellent performer and is superbly built. However, it refuses to play any Seagate drive above 160GB capacity. Guess it's just the programming in the installed instructions chip.
  • edited June 2007
    ive already tried with another seagate and its even higher gb in it, so it works fine i think its just my HD, the HD is a refurbished i just wanted to understand why it would work in my hot swap instead of my enclosure.
  • edited June 2007
    I have had the same problem some time ago with my old drive. My problem was that the drive wasn't compatible with the casing. Once i plugged the drive straight in my computer it would work like a charm, but in the casing everything would freeze up. In the end i could only go back to the store and change it for a new one, which will be hard for you in this case.

What might help is to try and remove all partitions on it if you don't have any data on it. You can access the drive by using the hot swap right?
  • edited June 2007
    ya only hot swap works rite now
  • edited June 2007
    In that case you can remove all the partitions and try using a partition program to make a new one.
  • edited July 2007
    Ya ill try that but i think it could be the programing on the hard drive controller it is a refurbished drive =/