What's wrong with Gigabyte?

a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
edited December 2007 in Hardware
I see Gigabyte is often put down as a sub-par board by many on this forum when talking about motherboards.

Why? Does this come from personal experience with more than 1 motherboard, and/or more than 1 particular model? Or is this just an irrational hatred for a brand that doesn't cotton to the overclocking/extremist community?

Of the Gigabyte boards I've had or people in my family have had I know of no times the boards did not operate like they should. Some sytems are years old and going strong w/ sub-GHz Athlons and SDR RAM.

CRAP. Transformer just blew. I better turn the computer off before UPS goes out. I'll resume this later :)

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    Because I've heard of more people having problems with Gigabyte boards than anything else this side of PCChips.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    atx1.jpg

Nuff said.

NS
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    ;D
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Ive had 4 crap out on me in my earlier days. And plus i worked in a shop that sold them We were selling atleast 15 a week and rmaing atleast 3 a week
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I've only owned 1, 8INXP E-7205 chipset. It was RMA within 60 days of ownership, earlier this year - at STOCK speeds/bios settings, I replaced a 2.6B with a 2.8B, it would never boot with the 2.8 nor with any other CPU after that point. From an enthusiast standpoint, it wouldn't overclock as well as any of the other socket 478 boards I have owned (Asus/Abit/MSI). I still own it, it's a wonderfully full featured board, but it's the wife's now - surfing, mild gaming, email. Stable for that usage.

They are *usually* NOT set up with good enthusiast features, such as their (normally) very limited voltage options (just one example). Reading around many enthusiast site forums, they have lots of problems across multiple chipsets with stability and compatability with common hardware.

This is not a flame, AJ, just an answer, albeit not totally comprehensive. They just aren't an ENTHUSIAST solution in most cases, for everyday stock usage many of their products are fine.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    As a system builder for about 18 months, the majority of p4/Athlon computers wherein the motherboard being the culprit of the computer's failure had Gigabyte boards.

I've never seen more blown caps, melted ATX12v sockets, and fried voltage regulators than what I saw from Gigabyte.

The motherboards from Gigabyte had problems that motherboards several other manufacturers using the same chipset did not have.

This disservice Gigabyte presents to the computing community knows no boundaries for platform. Athlons and Pentium 4s equally seemed to receive the discourtesy of the Gigabyte boards.

To further expand on the problems of Gigabyte boards, they seemed to exhibit the following;

-Poor IDE speeds
    -General slowness
    -Trouble interfacing with common slot-based peripherals
    -BIOS settings not holding properly
    -Overvolting
    -Bad temperature sensing never going repaired

Amongst others.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Mackanz had this to say
    ;D

NOT FUNNAH!!! >.<

That motherboard nearly destoryed my 2 Enermax PSUs (had to tear the ATX connectors out the socket) and cost me lots of time and some money. :(

NS
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    Gigabyte's boards are fine for general use computers. When you are building a PC for budget-minded individuals who don't need all the bells & whistles, yet want a non-properitary OEM computer and are attempting to keep your parts cost as low as possible, Gigabyte rises above the others.

Case and point is the system I sold a customer a few days ago. They wanted something to do home expenses, connect to the internet for e-mail, do word processing, listen to music and burn DVD's. Game playing was important, but if it cost too much, it would no longer be a consideration.

True... they may be better serviced by an ABIT NF7 or Asus A7N8X for the NForce 2 platform, however their cost prices to me are over $100.00 CDN.

Gigabyte's GA-7N400-L motherboard, with Dual-Channel DDR, NForce 2 Ultra 400, AGP8x, 6-Channel RealTek ALU650 AC-97 codec, RealTek 8100C 10/100 LAN, USB 2.0, Hardware Monitoring, Dual-BIOS safety and Norton Internet Security makes for a powerful home computer motherboard combination.

The better part of this deal is that they are only $76.00 CDN cost price. Comparing the cost price of the NF7 at $103.00 CDN and the A7N8X at $101.00 CDN, you quickly start to see how the cost price of each component plays into your businesses' bottom line.

Pair it with a Barton 2500+, Single Channel Crucial 512 MB DDR400, a Seagate 120 GB SATA-150 Drive, Sapphire Atlantis 9200 Pro, Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM & an Goldstar GSA4040B DVD+/-RW drive and they were set. They already had speakers, a monitor, keyboard and mouse from their previous computer.

By choosing components that perform fine for the task they are asked to do, you can decrease your cost price and make more on a sale. It's business. Gigabyte motherboards perform adequate for their sold intention: stock running with average performance. There are better choices for users who want to venture into overclocking, but the users who overclock generally do not have systems built for them.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Honestly, I worked for a VAR and we used them exclusively for both amd and intel and had very few issues with them.
  • edited November 2003
    The only Gigabyte board I've ever owned is a the GA-6OXET Tualatin capable i815 chipset socket 370 board. Going against the grain of most of the posts here, it is one of the 2 best performing socket 370 boards ever made, with the other being the Abit ST6. It has a higher vcore adjustment than any other socket 370 board made AKAIK and also has some pll divisors built into the board so in effect you never run too far out of spec on the pci and agp busses, no matter how high you had the fsb speed set. It was a great board all around for socket 370, but Gigabyte unforunately only produced them for a short time and then they also must have fired the design team that also designed it as they haven't come up with a design since that had so many overclocking features.:rolleyes2
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited November 2003
    I could take the exact picture (almost) of my IWill XP333-R and Antec PSU. That's definitely not "nuff said" IMO.
    NightShade737 had this to say
    atx1.jpg

Nuff said.

NS
    edited November 2003
    GnomeWizardd: That's the type of post I wanted. Something that substantiated WHY, not just "Gigabyte sucks because I don't like the name" or some other lame excuse for not liking them.

keto: Gigabyte definitely isn't an "enthusiast-class" motherboard maker, but I don't hold that against them.

Thrax: This too is exactly what I was looking for. A definitive WHY and not just some cop-out answer of "they aren't overclocker-friendly therefore they suck" or something along those lines.

Sim: My experience with Gigabyte has been very positive. I agree that for a regular PC user Gigabyte is fine. I personally don't buy them anymore (though we still have some Gigabytes in working systems) because I like to O/C my personal computers.

Mudd: Yeah, the Gigabyte's I had contact were are fine. No problems at all. Just rock solid from day 1.

Thanks to all those that replied with insight. :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2003
    I had to go to a smaller school computer lab that has 18 computers built with AMD duron 1.3's and Gigabyte socket "A" motherboards (although I'm not sure what model) and over the course of the weekend the motherboards in 2 of the systems had died for no reason that I could see and one of the motherboards had killed it's PSU in the process and not knowing the board was bad while I was onsite I stuck a new PSU in there and it cooked it too.
    Too bad for the school as these systems were about 6 months out of warranty so they had to pay for the repairs.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    Simguy... budget conscious system?

ECS
    MSI
    ASRock

NOT GIGABYTE!
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Ok,one thing sto be aware of:

SIS chipsets are sometimes used with economy motherboards, and the boards with those tend to be built with UNDERSPECED power (IE, specs are low for actual board needs) on bords. PCChips and the cheaper Gigabyte boards can use these.

OTOH, the better boards use Via, AMD, or Intel chipsets and not SIS. The high end Gigabytes have better QC and better track records, but they are more expensiove than nForce boards for which I would not use Gigabyte boards from friend's experiences.

Price here is an object, I hope, and the nForce boards that are stable are kickass better bang for buck than SIS or most AMD for a gamer or media type. Gigabyte's nForce offerings do not offer the more recent media bridge-- and you want that if you are at all an audiophile or a video\movie\games\3D\2D desktop publisher type or an artist and do not have lots of funds for a VERY modern high end video card. The latest nForce media bridge can control a decent MX GF4 chip, which is an MX but not by any means a terrible chip to start out with (it is embedded, chip off the south\media bridge). that board is cheaper than a decent Gigabyte by $30.00 to $40.00 if you pay anywhere near retail (the Ultra's have pumped power circuitry overall, and are more rigorously QC'd than the lesser Gigabytes). Board is an Abit NF7-M, SPP and MCP2-T in latest version (look at NewEgg's listing,second listed from a search of NF7) . note that embedded chips rely on system memory, and video cards use their own. thus they are slower, and about the speed of downward emulations of faster chips due to using and relying on main RAM and sharing the load with the CPU for some RAM I\O functions.

Fixed to comply with narrow-word-use technicalities broght up by our resident argumentative nitpicker (IMHO, and I am entiteled to one) who does NOT understand system interaction vocabulary uses. Emulation can have two complete senses of meaning, and embedded video is equiv to emulatio of a card in my book as it uses main RAM and drivers which address main RAM instead of letting the GPU handle onboard RAM I\O mostly from ore raw data. IMHO, electronic devices that rely on software handling compared to true more fully hardware devices that handle things themselves EMULATE to full hardware device-- the chip used is available on a full Video card also, and uses a core similar in grade to a 4200 core, thus I said EMULATES it. I would say a PCTel embedded modem chip EMULATES an external modem also, and is slower becasue the drivers have to handle a lot fo things that a missing protocol control chip would have to do, and embedded graphics are slower because of main RAM bus traffic overhead that is not there 80%-90% of the time due to the card not needing that portion of I\O as it has RAM embedded. this is the traditional second understanding of emulation in terms of USAGE IMPACT effects among engineers adn power users-- chip alone imitates full real thing that exists as a seperate card or device which works seperately better as it does more directly in hardware integral to the device itself when it is a full-fledged integral unit.

* Going ELSEWHERE where there are fewer literalists who think definition number one is the ONLY definition possible.

John.
    edited November 2003
    For the second time:

There is no "Updated media bridge."

<b>nForce2 Northbridge:</b>

1. Can be the nVidia SPP. No onboard video.
    2. Can be the nVidia IGP. Onboard video. Interfaces with an additional <b>GeForce4 MX</b> chip. It is not emulation, and it is not a ti4200.

<b>nForce2 Southbridge:</b>

1. THIS is the "Media bridge."
    2. It has the MCP or MCP-T.
    3. MCP-T has an onboard APU. This is the SoundStorm. It supports 2, 4, or 6 speakers, supports HW Dolby Digital decoding, has enhanced software and utility support, and SPDIF.
    4. MCP has no onboard APU, and features none of the capabilities in #3.
    5. nForce2 MCP/MCP-T also has the integrated NIC.

The SPP, IGP, MCP, MCP-T were all released to the public at the exact same time.

Now, you COULD be talking about the revision of the Northbridge (A3, A2, A1/C1), but manufacturers largely have not illustrated which version of the bridge their boards carry. But even then, the Northbridge is <b>not</b> the media bridge.

Clear?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Geeky1 had this to say
    Simguy... budget conscious system?

ECS
    MSI
    ASRock

NOT GIGABYTE!

Would I use it:

GigaByte - Maybe
    ECS - Maybe
    MSI - Yes
    ASRock - What the heck is that?

The one GigaByte board that I've ever owned has performed fine at completely stock settings over the years. Then again, so have all the PCChips boards I've owned. Chances are, if you don't ask it to do more than it's supposed to, it'll work fine. The notable exception to this is a board that is built to inferior spec and does something like NS's board there... the only one I've had do this to me is my old Abit KX7.

//edit: Thrax: Jihad? :wtf:
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    ASRock = Asus owned budget brand
    edited November 2003
    hehehe "ASSrock" ;D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. So if Asus puts out this budget brand, why did they ever put SiS chips on some of their boards? Sounds like a business mistake to me.
    edited November 2003
    gigabyte = teh suckiness

As i said 4 board through out my life! gone poof crash and burn!

Asus / Abit boards?? NONE never blew one or one crap out on me

Conclusion??
    Asus/ Abit = Good

Giga-Byte = Bad

GIGABYTE BAD

BADD
    BADDD
    BAADDD

I rather use a Pcchips board!

Oh and while we are on crappy boards

Pfftt @ FIC too!
    edited November 2003
    Hmm? FIC's NF2 mobo = Epox 8RDA last I checked... and people were all over those Epox boards at first!
    edited November 2003
    That's because they were the fastest nForce2 boards available.

Subsequently people discovered that they were plagued with a two-fold problem:

1. It was an EPoX board; They fail regularly it seems. Epox, as anyone will notice, has largely disappeared again.

2. The first nForce2 northbridge revisions really sucked.
    edited November 2003
    I still say Pffft @ FIC and Giga-byte

Cant say much for epox never used them but if thrax says its crap its crap then so........

Pffft @ epox!
    edited November 2003
    And...

Go jump off a bridge.
    edited November 2003
    not that much of a thrax fan club member!
    edited November 2003
    I don't want a fanclub at all. :-/
    edited November 2003
    You've already got quite the following there Thrax...

/me watches as Geeky, Ageek, Intel, Compaq, and Profdlp follow Thrax around, clutching burning torches and pitchforks in their hands.
    edited November 2003
    All the better to siege the walls of Sunnyvale when I reveal the true enemy of the people.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited November 2003
    Thrax had this to say
    And...

Go jump off a bridge.

Thrax had this to say
    I don't want a fanclub at all.

If there was a fanclub, I would join it solely on reading that first statement.
    edited November 2003
    Reminds me of an Adam Sandler skit: Don't wanna piss of the "Leader Guy."