20 amps enough for the following?

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited June 2007 in Hardware
I've got my old FX system sitting around doing nothing, so I decided I'm gonna put it in a cube with a 8500GT, and maybe turn it into a backup Pc, or sell it, or whatever. But the cube case I'm looking at, it's power supply is only 20A on 12V. Is it enough for the following?

Biostar Tforce6100-m9
AMD Athlon FX-55
512MB DDR400 (256x2)
1 Sata 300 drive
Nvidia 8500GT

I'm thinking that it might be since the 8500 doesn't need the PCI-E 6 pin.

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2007
    It should be ok assuming you have a brand name psu for it (Enermax Antec OCZ, Pc power and cooling).

I take it its a 350W psu ?

edit: Wow I thought you said 27A your pushing it with 20A.
  • edited June 2007
    Yeah, it all depends on the brand it is. If it's generic I would be leary but if it's someone like Sparkle/FSP, Antec, Enermax you might get by OK.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    I think it's an ultra, I forgot to check, but it was a 450.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I think it would be just fine, given a new, high quality PSU and the computer not operating at 100% GPU and 100% CPU simultaneously.
    edited June 2007
    Well, apparently 20A isn't enough from your views. What do you reccomend for 24/7 for 2+ years?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    A 700w power supply based on a Seasonic supply, with 4x 6-pin PCIe connectors, and ATX20/24+4/8 connectors.
    edited June 2007
    That won't fit in a cube case, and that's way too much power for a medium-end DX10 card and 512MB of DDR400.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    A 700w power supply based on a Seasonic supply, with 4x 6-pin PCIe connectors, and ATX20/24+4/8 connectors.
    Thrax, reserve power, extra horsepower, extra capacity, ad infinitum are usually good things, but 700watts? Not everyone needs overkill. I realize you are much more up to date on hardware than I am, so set me straight if my logic is bent.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    It's an economical pricepoint, and he said for 2+ years. Who knows what's going to happen in two years?
    edited June 2007
    My 500W 35A will last me another year at the load I've got it at now.