Thoughts on a decent mATX board/set-up?

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Hardware
I've got a grand little scheme for building a rig, but it's gonna need a mATX board to work. Can anyone recommend a decent board? I'm not in a hurry to build it and since cool stuff is coming out hopefully soon, I can wait a bit if it's worthwhile.

Considerations:
1. I need to build a cool running system, but due to height constraints, the maximum height of the heatsink/fan/processor will be card height. So I'll need a processor that doesn't push too much heat.
2. I want to game primarily with this system. I'll be in the market for a new graphics card. Again, due to space constraints, I'll only be able to fit in a single card, most likely attached by a riser of some sort off a single board slot.
3. I don't want something that'll break the bank, but if it's got some upgrade headroom, that'd be nice.

Onboard LAN and sound are required. I won't have room in the case for other cards. Onboard Raid would be a plus.

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    AMD or Intel?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    What's running cooler now? Intel right?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Yes.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Depends...the 65nm stuff from AMD is pretty cool running.
    edited June 2007
    Then Intel it shall be! Tell me Thrax, is there a tiny version of that OMG-BBQ-DQ6-whatever-the-hell-it-is board you've been raving about?
  • edited June 2007
    For what you want, you will have to settle with something like this GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R board, Buddy Jesus. It is based on the latest generation Intel IGP chipset and will run the upcoming Penryn processors. I can't say how well it will overclock, but reading the reviews at the Egg is sounds like a good choice for a mATX board. And it won't break the bank either. Combine this with a new upcoming E6850 processor and some good ram and you should have teh winnar! :D
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I have been planing a media box project and the G33M is the mobo that I have been looking at.
    The 6550 and 6750 are both supposed to hit under $200 so you will have some CPU options.
    The video card and the CPU cooler will be the hardest ones.
    Finding a cool running VC, and a good HSF that will fit a small box.
    edited June 2007
    I read some reviews on the G33M and it sounds like a great board for what I'll be doing. In my search, however, I found this link showing the G35M. Any thoughts on if the difference between the two would make waiting worthwhile?

BTW, thanks for the help with this guys. I appreciate it.
  • edited June 2007
    I don't think it's out on the market quite yet, Buddy J. But I imagine it will be out by the time the X38 chipsets are introduced. However, that G33 board does have the ICH9-R southbridge, which gives you Intel Matrix Raid capability. I'm not sure, but I think the main difference between the G33 and G35 northbridges is DDR3 support, which G33 doesn't support at all, and support for DX10 capability with the onboard graphics. But if you are going with a discrete graphics card this isn't a problem for you.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    You ought'a check out Biostar. I've yet to have a problem with their boards, and they're damn powerful for a pleasing price.
  • edited June 2007
    Their Tforce series are nice boards, but Biostar sucks for support issues and bios updates. But they are a viable alternative for motherboards.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    I've never had a problem with Biostar, or their bioses. I've had problems with their boards snapping in half because people don't know how to mount them...
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited June 2007
    Without taking anything away from the quality of the G33 chipset, I'd just like to know why is it considered better than the nForce 630a alternative for the AMD AM2 socket when it comes to μATX boards ?
  • edited June 2007
    Mainly because it's intended for Intel processors, not AMD processors. Buddy Jesus intimated that he was partial to going Core 2 Duo in his third post in this thread. As for Nvidia chipsets for Intel, the main problem I have with them is that they run even hotter and use more power than the Intel chipsets, which aren't known for running cool either. The way he's talking, the heat issue might be a problem with this build so keeping extra heat out of the box seems paramount to me.
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited June 2007
    I understand Buddy's inclination towards the Core 2 Duo processor. However, does a Core 2 Duo processor with the G33 board create markedly less heat than an AMD X2 processor on an nForce 630a board ?

I agree with your point that a μATX nvidia chipset with the Core 2 Duo processor wouldn't be as good as the the G33 in terms of heat and performance in general.
    edited June 2007
    The X2, if I'm not mistaken, is hella expensive. In terms of bang for the buck, I think Intel is the way to go.

muddocktor is right - heat will be an issue in this build. The "case" I'm working with only had one 80mm fan originally, plus the PSU's fan. Because of its design, I won't be able to add much more than that.
  • edited June 2007
    Actually the AM2 X2 Brisbanes are rated at 65 watts TDP I believe, B_J. They are also pretty cheap and nonstop301 does have a point. I just looked and Newegg has a Brisbane X2-4400 combined with a Biostar Tforce 6100 mATX board for $165.99 and that should make for a pretty nice performing rig too. With your small case I don't think you will be able to overclock much anyways with either AMD or Intel; heat's gonna kill you with either. I think with a C2D rig you would have more performance but it's not going to world's better than the AM2 4400 setup if you buy a C2D in the price range of this X2-4400 (E4300 Intel is in this price range). But either would be a viable path to go with, IMO.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I suppose it just depends on your budget, then. Go AMD if you need to save some money for the graphics card or an expensive and efficient (less heat) power supply.
    edited June 2007
    I just got a cool PSU at the LAN thanks to the fine people at OCZ!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Core 2 Duos can run at 1v at 2.5GHz or less. Can't beat that, and Intel's speedstep is WAAAAAY better than PowerNow! technology.