New rig: SMP vs GPU client

the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1Indy Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Folding@Home
So I've got this box with a Pentium 805D 2.67Ghz dual core, and an ASUS x1950. I'm planning on OC'ing the 805 to 3Ghz - 3.2Ghz. What would yield more ppd, the SMP client or the GPU client? Any guesses? I suppose I could try one out for a week, then try the other. Any ideas?

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    So you have really really good cooling right?
    I would guess that the SMP would yield more points.
    I was disappointed in the points from my X1850.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited June 2007
    I would go with the try both option 24/7 and OCed the d805 should make the SMP deadlines but on some L2 cache dependant WU's like the 2610 series it will really toil, and wil certainly miss the preffered deadline but should make the final deadline.
    the D9 series that Leonardo has are better because of the increased L2 cache, core 2 duo/quads are really the sweet spot for SMP at the moment, VFM is the E6320/6420
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2007
    edcentric wrote:
    So you have really really good cooling right?
    I would guess that the SMP would yield more points.
    I was disappointed in the points from my X1850.

The X1800 folds poorly.

The X1900/1950's on the other hand fly.
    edited June 2007
    GrayFox wrote:
    The X1800 folds poorly.

The X1900/1950's on the other hand fly.
    Mine flew so fast it now has artefacts at 2D speeds no more GPU folding for the moment:mad:
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I think I smell a test coming...

Cooling should be OK for the CPU - have a Zalman 7000AlCu
    edited July 2007
    Am I missing something? I set up both GPU and SMP console clients to run with Administrator priviledges and the fah.exe just crashes out when I try to run them manually...?

I haven't been paying attention to GPU and SMP news for a bit, so this might be old news?
    edited July 2007
    try them seperately mate, not altogether happy bedmates also make sure they have diferent IDs as that will cause further conflict. the d805 is not fast enough to allow GPU folding at the same time only really works with a quad and GPU.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    With any dual core processor, SMP will make more points than any other client/core combination as long as the client is completing the work units within the allotted time.

BTW, you meant to write "D805," right?

EDIT: I assume very good cooling to overclock the D805. However, a Smithfield core (D8xx series) will definitely run stable at higher temperatures than Core 2 cores. I don't think running SMP and GPU folding simultaneously would work well with that processor. You'd probably get far more points running SMP alone. Besides, I doubt you'd finish the CPU's assigned work units on time if you were running GPU simultaneously.
    have a Zalman 7000AlCu
    That will probably be marginal for an overclocked Smithfield. Watch the core temp very closely.
    edited July 2007
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    try them seperately mate, not altogether happy bedmates also make sure they have diferent IDs as that will cause further conflict. the d805 is not fast enough to allow GPU folding at the same time only really works with a quad and GPU.

lol, am running the separate, I'm not THAT confident in the box.. :-)
    edited July 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    That will probably be marginal for an overclocked Smithfield. Watch the core temp very closely.

I was wrong on the part #. It's the 120mm version, which is actually the 7700. I love these coolers, should be good to go.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Even with the 7700, you still might be limited in overclocking. If the ambient temperature is cool and the case is well ventilated, it will be a big plus.
  • edited July 2007
    Yeah, I agree with Leo on the cooling issue and a Zalman 7700. Leo used to run a 7700 on a 8xx series Smithfield I believe until he upgraded his cooling with a better hsf. I bought the 7700 off of him and am using it on a desktop Dothan machine.