problems applying thermal paste

doomddoomd California
edited July 2007 in Hardware
uhh hi im having problems applying thermal paste to my cpu. my cpu is a amd dual core and i tried many times applying thermal paste to it and so far my temperatures rise up to 70c and my computer can shut off on me when gaming. im useing arctic silver 5. the ways i applied the paste were putting a little dab in the middle of the cpu and apply some to the heatsink and wipe the paste off it with a cloth. another is just but a little dab and spread it out along with the heatsink applied with paste. i spreaded it out thin enough so its transparent but still high temps. also i tried applying it without putting paste on the heatsink but no luck. any tips would help out or even pictures i can show you some pictures. thanks:bigggrin: (oh yeah i think i put this thread in the wrong section?)

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    The way I do it is put a drop or two in the middle of the CPU, and spread it around with a plastic card (like an old credit card, or sometimes I'll cut some plastic from some packaging). When I spread it, I don't make it so thin it's transparent. As long is it's not so thick it gooshes out when you apply the heatsink, don't worry about it. It almost sounds like you're putting it on too thin. Whichever thickness you use, just make sure to apply it evenly.

Make sure to clean the heatsink, CPU, and plastic applicator with isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips first (or whatever you want to apply the alcohol; it's just that Q-tips are easy), as any oils from your fingers that gets into the thermal paste will reduce its effectiveness.

Also, I'd avoid using a cloth to wipe off excess paste. Bits of fibers that get left behind from the cloth can also impact effectiveness.

I usually apply thermal paste to the heatsink and scrape it off with some plastic, so that only the abrasions that were below the surface get filled in. I don't consider this to be absolutely necessary, though.

Just for info, my dual core AMD ran in the mid 40s*C when I was using the stock heatsink and running it at 400mhz above stock speeds.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Also, as mentioned in this post:

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63454

Make sure your heatsink is flat. Use a credit card as a straight edge to make sure it is!

Cheers!
  • doomddoomd California
    edited July 2007
    oh thank you. also my stock heatsink has some stratches that make a square is that bad?
  • doomddoomd California
    edited July 2007
    Gargoyle wrote:
    The way I do it is put a drop or two in the middle of the CPU, and spread it around with a plastic card (like an old credit card, or sometimes I'll cut some plastic from some packaging). When I spread it, I don't make it so thin it's transparent. As long is it's not so thick it gooshes out when you apply the heatsink, don't worry about it. It almost sounds like you're putting it on too thin. Whichever thickness you use, just make sure to apply it evenly.

Make sure to clean the heatsink, CPU, and plastic applicator with isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips first (or whatever you want to apply the alcohol; it's just that Q-tips are easy), as any oils from your fingers that gets into the thermal paste will reduce its effectiveness.

Also, I'd avoid using a cloth to wipe off excess paste. Bits of fibers that get left behind from the cloth can also impact effectiveness.

I usually apply thermal paste to the heatsink and scrape it off with some plastic, so that only the abrasions that were below the surface get filled in. I don't consider this to be absolutely necessary, though.

Just for info, my dual core AMD ran in the mid 40s*C when I was using the stock heatsink and running it at 400mhz above stock speeds.

do i use the edges of the plastic or the flat part?
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Ever put bog or bondo (depending where you're from...:bigggrin:) on a car? Kinda like that. Just smooth it on without excess. Not thin, not thick. Kinda like a coat of paint...
    edited July 2007
    doomd wrote:
    do i use the edges of the plastic or the flat part?

Edges. I just hold the plastic at an angle.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    When you take the HS off is the surface nice and uniform?
    It sounds like you have issues with the contact pressure or evenness.
    As a test I would put four small dots of compound near the corners of the CPU and mount the HS.
    Don't run it, just let it sit a while.
    Then take it off. Did they all spread out the same? My hunch is that you will find one (or two) that hardly spread out at all.
    Look at your mounting.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I was going to suggest contact between the heatsink and the cpu as well. All the thermal paste in the world won't help if your cpu mount or heatsink surface is curved or making uneven contact.
  • doomddoomd California
    edited July 2007
    soo it could be my heatsink thats the problem?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    If the heatsink is unevenly mounted:

uneven.gif
    edited July 2007
    doomd wrote:
    soo it could be my heatsink thats the problem?

Too see if it is, get a straightedge (like a metal ruler or a razorblade or something) and place it (edge down) on the heatsink base. Then look across the edge of the heatsink. If you can see light underneath your straightedge, the base is probably uneven, and needs to be lapped. If that's the case, check out this thread for options.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Doomd, I just want to make sure - you did remove all the old thermal paste/tape/goop from the CPU and heatsink before you applied the new Arctic Silver, right?
  • doomddoomd California
    edited July 2007
    yes i cleaned the hs and the cpu
    edited July 2007
    Then I think your problem is either poor occlusion (see post 11), or that hot air is not escaping well from your computer case and is recirculating around the CPU.
  • doomddoomd California
    edited July 2007
    that what i think too. 2 fans are blowing on the hs one on the back of the case and the other on the side of the part where you open the case my case is a xion
    edited July 2007
    Circulating accomplishes very little if the warmed air isn't exhausted from the case efficiently. Run the system with the side panel off and see what the CPU core temp is. Then try it with the side still off and with a ventilation fan blowing into it.

Is your case in a spot where air is trapped, like under a desk in a corner?
  • doomddoomd California
    edited July 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Circulating accomplishes very little if the warmed air isn't exhausted from the case efficiently. Run the system with the side panel off and see what the CPU core temp is. Then try it with the side still off and with a ventilation fan blowing into it.

Is your case in a spot where air is trapped, like under a desk in a corner?

it was on a corner till my computer shut off on me when i was gaming and i found out it was over heating. now its on the top of my desk. also when ever i put my hand on the side fan (outside of the case ) its always hot same for the back
    edited July 2007
    Remove the side cover and see if the problem persists. Please report the CPU temp of running with the cover off.
  • doomddoomd California
    edited July 2007
    well the side case is off and it goes from 54C-70 it it mostly stays at 60s

Edit:I take that back it stays at 50c-61 when the side fan is off its still screwed on maybe i should unscrew it?
  • doomddoomd California
    edited July 2007
    ok now when i took out the side fan my graphics card was heating up pretty high and my computer shut down on me. its a 8800gts. i put the fan back on and now its cool
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Your CPU is way, way, way too high.
    edited July 2007
    Given that the temps were still pretty high when the side cover was off (61* is crazy hot unless you are heavy overclocking with a so-so CPU cooler) it would seem that there is something wrong with the CPU heatsink mounting. BTW, what temp monitoring applet are you running?
  • doomddoomd California
    edited July 2007
    everest also my cpu is... a x2 3600.... should i get a new hs? i was gona go to best buy tomorrow or somthing
  • edited July 2007
    Did a quick read through the thread, so please forgive if I repeat someone.

Have you checked to see what voltage that processor is being fed?

Also if you have a digital camera, can you post a few pictures from different angles. I would take the motherboard completely out of the case. Set it on a non static soft surface like the foam padding they come with. Try to observe the heatsink mounting from all angles. Also if the motherboard is not yet mounted it can be easier to properly install a heatsink.

Is this the heatsink that came with it?

etc, so on and so forth