E6600 or dualie?

sforzasforza SPAIN
edited July 2007 in Hardware
Hello,

I was a bit disconnected from the hardware scene, so I've been searching for some benchmarks trough the internet and it seems Intel has the lead right now.

I've been advised by my local dealer the following setup:

Intel Core E6600 2.40/1066 4M

PB ASUS P5KC IP35 DDR2/DDR3

ARTIC COOLING PRO FREEZER 775

DDR2 1024/800 KINGSTON X2

320 SEAGATE SATA-2 16MB 7.2K

19” LG 1952S-SF 8MS 1600:1 PLT (DVI)

XFX 8600 GT 620MH 256M DD3 PCX

GIGABYTE POSEIDON SILVER

COOLBOX 550W (FORTRON) 12X12

Keep in mind video is mostly pure CPU power, applying filters etc. Rendering can take a while.

Do you think this is the best I can buy, or the option of the good old dual xeons are still better than this?

Is there any dual board for E6600s?

Maybe dual athlons?

Please give me some advice on this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I have a few of the P4 Xeons for 3ds Max work, and I would be willing to bet a E6600 would be able to hang with 2 P4 Xeons anyday.

Also if you want Dual CPU's Intel's Woodcrest Server CPU's are cheap and fast and will blow away AMD's current offerings. Now Quad core AMD chips are coming, and pricing is unknown, but they are rumored to be faster than Intels current offerings, but will most likely be slower the Intels next gen CPU's coming out at the end of this year.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    sforza, that's a decent system your builder is proposing. If I were building any new machine though, I'd go with 2GB DDR (2X1GB). That is the current standard.
  • sforzasforza SPAIN
    edited July 2007
    I don't wanna wait, I can't in fact due to work reasons, I'll just get the fastest I can for the money and that's all.

The E6600 seems to be the choice. I've been looking at the Woodcrest following your recommendation, Sledgehammer70, but here in spain they are too expensive.

I'm already going with 2gigs of ram, check the "X2" next :)
  • edited July 2007
    Looks pretty good to me, sforza. However, if you can hold off on the processor order for another week or 2, then by all means do that. Intel has a sizable price cut coming on July 22 and should drop the price of your E6600 down to the present price of the E6420 models and the E6700 should drop to the present price of the E6600. Also, the Q6600 quad processors are supposed to drop to less than $300 here in the US at that time too. I don't know about for you all in Spain though.
  • sforzasforza SPAIN
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the info about the price drop, I will probably wait.