I've just bought a vista...

Craig18Craig18 New
edited July 2007 in Hardware
I was looking for ZoneAlarm and Kaspersky but the man in the store said that Norton 360 is the most widely used? Apparently other companies don't have the licence yet?

Are Spyware Blaster, SpyBot S&D and other freeware programs good to use for Vista or only XP? My parents have an XP laptop.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Norton 360 is a piece of junk, and it's one of the worst programs you can install on Vista. Kaspersky has a license, I know that for a fact, and it's also very good.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Use Kaspersky. The "man in the store" is wrong. Norton blows.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2007
    Both are far too bloated check out avg free if you have a older pc.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited July 2007
    Windows defender is all I've been using in Vista, but then again I avoid the usualy internet haunts where people catch malware. Vista is just as vulnerable as XP, but I just do see myself encountering problems.

On my HTPC/server I've been using AVG Free for about a year. Kaspersky 6 was too bloated and slowed some networked processes down. We use/support Kaspersky at work for managed customers and encounter similar issues. Often it has little to do with how fast the PC is, but rather what they're using the PC for. The networking monitoring filters/services in Kaspersky just aren't any better than the other guys. So I would recommend straight Kaspersky AV but not the internet security suite.

Of course, not doing things that would get you infected in the first place would preclude the need for anything more than AVG free ;).
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    GrayFox wrote:
    Both are far too bloated
    Of course Kapsersky has more overhead - it's more effective and has a lot more functionality than AVG. If you're a savvy minimalist, AVG is fine. If you want complete protection, get Kaspersky.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2007
    stoopid wrote:
    Vista is just as vulnerable as XP
    Thats not entirely true, they did fix a few buffer overrun's and ie7 offers mildly increased security (IE7 is also on xp).

Plus right now vista has some security because not all malware is fully compatible (Mainly ones that use old unmaintained rootkits, Such as sony's DRM.)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    but the man in the store said that Norton 360 is the most widely used?
    Sure, because it's bundled on lots of new machines and stores recommend it - because they SELL it and make MONEY off it. Sellers make no money off the free versions of AVG, Kaspersky, and ZoneAlarm.

Be kind to your computers: Keep them away from Norton and McAffee. :)