PC doesn't post, fans spin, power led doesn't turn on

nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
edited July 2007 in Hardware
I have a problem with a computer that I changed CPU for.

After placing the CPU/heatsink and connecting the rest of the devices I find that the computer doesn't start properly and when the power is switched on the motherboard indicator led lights up but when I start the computer with the power button, only the fans spin and the power on led doesn't light up to blue as it's supposed to when the computer is on. The beep that indicates POST unfortunately doesn't occur either.

Any suggestions as to what I should do to get everything working properly again would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and your replies.

Regards,
n301

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Remove it from the case and try again.
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited July 2007
    I was thinking of putting the previous CPU in it but I'll do what you suggest Thrax and retry :)
    edited July 2007
    Still no luck unfortunately and the computer will not POST. It has worked with this CPU in the past and I just wanted to put it back in but now there seems to be no response. All I get is the motherboard led and the fan spin but the screen will not show anything and POST doesn't initiate.

I tried to use the other CPU that it had previously in it but again I come across the same issue and only the heatsink fan spins and the I don't get the beep for the POST or anything on the screen either

I really have no idea why this occurred and I never expected the changing of the CPU to cause such problems
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited July 2007
    have you tried resetting the bios by removing the cmos battery and shorting the jumpers?
    edited July 2007
    Hi Spike09,

I did the remove the CMOS battery and changed the position of the jumpers to reset the BIOS settings but again with no luck.

I have disconnected most of the hardware and only left the hard disk, the CPU/heatsink, the RAM and the graphics card but again I get no POST and no beep and nothing on the screen either.

Is there another way to reset the BIOS perhaps ?

All I can think of is changing the RAM or the hard disk but those were fine and the computer was working this time yesterday before I tried to change the CPU.
  • edited July 2007
    What are the specs of your machine? What processor did it originally have? And what processor are you upgrading to?
    edited July 2007
    Hi fatsheep,

The motherboard is a socket 754 Asus KV8-X SE with 512 Mb RAM and the processor I had in it before is a Sempron64 2600+ and I wanted to change that to an Athlon64 3200+.

The Sempron CPU and memory were overclocked but I restored the default BIOS settings before putting in the Athlon64. I have used both CPUs in this computer in the past and they have worked well but neither of them is working with it.

Since my previous posts I have also checked to see if something was wrong with the RAM and installed it on a different computer. It caused problems there too and that computer wouldn't POST either and its BIOS signalled a number of beeps that according to the manual indicate faulty RAM. I also checked the graphics card with this computer just in case there was a problem with it as well but the computer booted properly with it.

I added a different memory stick to the computer I'm having problems with and it still wouldn't POST and got no beeps or anything on the screen either. All it does is spin the heatsink fan and light up the motherboard led. The RAM I used this time works on my other computer so I think that there might be a motherboard problem as well besides the faulty RAM.

I
    edited July 2007
    I have now tried the CPUs on a different motherboard of the same socket that I have at my disposal and they work properly together with the rest of the hardware bar the RAM that were connected on the previous motherboard.

I can't understand how changing the CPU caused the RAM to suddenly die and also took the motherboard with it as well. Is this something to be expected when someones decides to install a new CPU ?