Layout of sub forums

stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
edited September 2007 in Community
It's hard to navigate the forums in their current state. Stuff just doesn't seem to be grouped logically.

If you're open to suggestions I'll put a few minutes into what I think may be a more logical sub forum structure, but not if that door's closed.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    While I still feel there are too many sub-forums, I take no issue with their organization.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    The door's open, I'd like to see your suggestions :)
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited July 2007
    As soon as I get a chance. Since posting this life has kept me busy. Day or two.

I think some consolidation might be in order. Maybe I'll make 2 lists, one restructuring what's here and another with a completely fresh slate (meaning, merging and creating entirely new forums to handle the topics).
    edited July 2007
    Looked things over...

Hot Spots and The Neighborhood need to be merged. For starters, you have 2 news sections and 2 folding at home sections that can be easily merged without anyone noticing. Icrontic LAN and Redoulent belong as sub forums, if not as sticky threads within their appropriate sections. This will bring down the clutter somewhat in the general topic sections.

Emergency support should be put at the top of the list. I strongly doubt someone in a hurry is going to scroll through 7 topic headings to find it where it currently is.

Then I can't quite understand the rest of the forum structure. Maybe a bit too specialized? Most forums have general software and hardware sections, an overclocking section, and a peripherals section. You have multiples of each. Further confusion with Performance Tweaks being thrown in there, as it crosses multiple sections (isn't it part of the purpose of the other sections to help tweak their respective hard/software components?). Graphics should be "video cards". Having it grouped with gaming will not be obvious to all.

Micro managing works well on HUGE forums, but this is not a huge forum. You may even be hurting yourself spreading things out between so many sections. If a section is slow for a few days it would give a passer-by the impression that the forum, on a whole, doesn't receive much traffic.

Possible sections:

Support section, to include emergency support, adware/viruses, Networking
    General Hardware, Video Cards, Overclocking, etc
    General Software, Windows, Alt OS, Gaming, Web Dev, Digital Imaging, etc
    Community section with folding at home, news, etc

4 sections instead of 6, and a bit more logical IMO.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I done gone condensed and rearranged a bunch of stuff.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I approve. Also, thanks for adding a black theme IM client set.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    looks good
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    looks good

Seconded!
    edited September 2007
    Much better :)