Nvidia Drivers Will Not Install

edited July 2007 in Hardware
I'm getting a bit worried about this problem. First I installed Ubuntu and tried to install the Nvidia drivers. I've tried just about every method I know of (Automatix, Restricted Driver's Manager, the envy script, direct download and install from nvidia's website, and other commands) and the Nvidia driver keeps crashing my Xserver. Vesa drivers work fine but Nvidia crashes the xserver consistently. Right now I'm messing around with some kernel parameters to see if I can get it to work but its messy.

I thought this was a Linux driver only problem but its not. I tried installing Nvidia driver's to the Windows XP (32-bit) partition in the usual manner (download drivers off nvidia website and run the installer). The installer crashes the computer so hard you don't even get an error message, it just flips to a completely black screen. CTRL + ALT + DELETE and anything else I pressed did absolutely nothing. The computer would not respond.

I'm getting a little nervous that this could be a hardware problem. I don't see how it could be which is why I am posting here for advice on how to diagnose this pesky problem. This is a new computer so I could still RMA anything if needed.

Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
Video Card:
EVGA 7600 GT
Case: Cooler Master Centurion.
Power Supply: FSP Group (Fortron Source) Blue Storm II 500 ATX.
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500 Gb.
Optical Drive:
Lite-on Black DVD Burner
Monitor: Acer 22" LCD Widescreen
Floppy Drive: Sony Floppy Drive
Speakers:
Logitech X-230 32 watt 2.1 Speakers.
Mouse and Keyboard Logitech Mouse and Keyboard

Comments

• edited July 2007
    This turned out to be a problem with the video card. The 7600 GT would POST and display the default Windows graphics drivers as well as the VESA Linux graphics drivers. However, when I tried to install the Nvidia accelerated drivers, it would crash either platform. I substituted in my 6600 GT and it works fine so I'm sure it's the graphics card. I am returning it to newegg for replacement.