Hahaha, Quad core on the way!

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Folding@Home
Just ordered that bad boy, $289 Cdn and another $105 for another 2GB of OCZ ram. Hello 3000ppd production from one rig! :bigggrin:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    :eek2: nice!
  • edited July 2007
    Did you give them Primesuspect's home address for the shipping? :-)
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited July 2007
    If I order one will you ship it onwards to Scotland those prices are unreal:eek:
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    FWIW, Mwave has the Q6600 for $273 and Newegg fo $299. Link.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    :wow: Nuff said!!! :wow:
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Is FAH able to handle quad cores now or do you still run 1 instance per processor?
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited July 2007
    BLuKnight wrote:
    Is FAH able to handle quad cores now or do you still run 1 instance per processor?
    SMP client can handle quads BluKnight :eek:
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited July 2007
    Haha, DanG! Great price too!

I assume you're using a motherboard you already have- what one and what CPU are you replacing?
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    DanG wrote:
    Just ordered that bad boy, $289 Cdn and another $105 for another 2GB of OCZ ram. Hello 3000ppd production from one rig! :bigggrin:

If I have it right, AMD is set to release their quadcore in August, correct? Nonetheless, mind letting me know where you're ordering from Dan?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Probably September/October is more like it.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2007
    I heard October as a market release time..Roughly the second week. I wonder what happens at the end of the second week of October...
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited July 2007
    I heard October as a market release time..Roughly the second week. I wonder what happens at the end of the second week of October...

And regardless of whether it's released in October or August- I highly doubt Barcelona will sell for under $300 anytime soon.
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited July 2007
    just recieved my quad today ^____^
    gonna finish my build tommorow
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    TBonZ wrote:
    If I have it right, AMD is set to release their quadcore in August, correct? Nonetheless, mind letting me know where you're ordering from Dan?

Ordered from www.ncix.com
    I got my original C2D system from them in november, none of the local shops could touch their pricing, and that was before I took into account that I didn't have to pay PST because it was coming from BC. I did see that they've recently raised their pricing, from the $289 I paid up to $309 and currently sitting at $339.

I put everything together tonight, and I'm currently running stock speeds.
    I'm working on a 2610 right now, and it's folding at 100% across all 4 cores, and running at 8:07 per frame, and according to EM Calc, that's 2701ppd.

Looking back through my F@H logs, I was previously folding a 2610 with my E6600 @ 3.02GHz, and that was running at 11:14 per frame, for 1952ppd.

A nice increase, and don't forget this is stock speed quad core vs an overclocked dual core. I'm going to give it a couple of days to make sure everything is happy, then start bumping the speed up slowly.

I did also throw more ram in, now up to 4gb from 2, but I doubt there's a difference there.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Woohoo! Oh man, I am so jealous. But replaced two old cars, paid for daughter's wedding, necessary travel....

no budget for new upgrades. :(
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    2700 points per day!!! WOW!!!