Why Cant I Overclock?!

edited July 2007 in Hardware
I have the PD915. I heard these were easy to OC but everytime i try even a 10 pt increase in the FSB it freezes up. I've been using the NTune utility to try and make these adjustments. My Mobo is the EVGA 680i SLI Any help would be apreciated

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    what kind of ram do you have? What are you using for cooling the cpu?
  • edited July 2007
    RAM:Corsair pc2-6400 one gig
    And a stock fan
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    R'Chaos, have you tried overclocking through the BIOS? Your problem may not be your hardware, but rather nTune. I've always overclocked through the BIOS - Intel and AMD on Asus, Abit, MSI, and Iwill motherboards. The few times I've tried overclocking software, I've found it to be mediocre.

Please post your computer specifications, full brand and model:

CPU - Intel D915 (yes, they are superb overclockers)
    motherboard - EVGA 680i (which one? there are several models)
    DRAM
    power supply unit
    CPU heatsink
    case (brand and model, or if you don't know, a description, including fan sizes and layout)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    "One gig" - is that two sticks each of 512? or one stick of 1GB?
    Stock "fan." I assume you are referring to the CPU heatsink/fan unit?
  • edited July 2007
    Ooo yes specifics! That probably would help would'nt it.lol

CPU: Intel PD915
    CPU Heatsink is the stock one its boxed with
    Mobo:EVGA 122-CK-NF68
    Ram: (2) Sticks of 512 1GIG Corsair PC2-6400 (400mhz)
    Power Supply: Antec True Power Trio 650W
    Case: Thermaltake Armor Jr.

I tried OC'ing through the bios but when i restart i get an error message.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Whats the error message? Is it a BSOD? What's it say?
  • edited July 2007
    RWB wrote:
    Whats the error message? Is it a BSOD? What's it say?
    Nah no BSOD. Just says that my CPU and Memory settings are wrong. Hit Del to enter setup and fix it
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Out of curiosity try this...

*Mind you, I don't know what your specific BIOS will look like or be worded exactly*

Load FAIL SAFE BIO Settings, reboot.... then Load OPTIMIZED BIO Settings, and reboot, then check the memory and make sure it's timings are not set to something too tight(just because the memory is rated for something doesn't mean it should be set to that)... then increase the FSB 5-10MHz and reboot. It has been a while since I OC'd... so I might be forgetting something. If that doesn't work, try loosening the timings and see if that helps... it could be other components of the computer but not all things are equal, it might just not over clock well at all.
  • edited July 2007
    I think that worked.lol Can anyone give me some good stable numbers i could plug in and test. Thanks
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Do it incremental... 5-10MHz at a time until it's no longer stable then back it down 10MHz and stress test from there...
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Well, there are threads describing this, but I am too lazy to find them.
    You need to work on the fsb (and memory) and the CPU speed one at a time to see where your hardware will go. It will take a lot of time.
    If you want to short cut, you will be clearing the bios a lot. Start by loosening the memory timings and raising the memory voltage a bit. The bump the fsb 10 at a time. Make sure that you know the max voltage that your memory can handle.