High speed scanner options

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2008 in Internet & Media
I might have to scan 40k-60k A4 sized sheets, and we don't really have the equipment for that. I know high speed sheetfed scanners exist, but I don't know anything about them. Does anyone have any suggestions on equipment they've used? Please don't google or newegg "high speed scanners" and send me links to equipment, I've already done that. I'm looking for any qualified, "I've used this" type of advice.

Thanks in advance! :)

//edit: qty went up - 40k to 60k now. :rolleyes:

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Go with Fujitsu. We use a fi-5120C here at the office. Sheetfed, fast, and can scan even the most crumpled piece of paper.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    For that volume you are not looking for a scanner, but a document handling machine. They used to just be copiers, but now they can be used as copiers, scanners, and printers.
    We have an old Fujitsu here. It is slow, but does an excellent job. Contact the guys that you lease copiers and fax machines from as a start.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Color scanning? Photo quality?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    This particular job is monochrome. At a 3000 per day duty cycle, we're looking at up to 3 weeks to get this job done. The problem is that to jump from this "mid range" to the "high end" high speed scanning hardware is a major price hike. Mid range is from $1500-$5000. The next "tier" of scanning speeds starts at around $10,000 and goes way up from there.

I wonder if there's a "diamond in the rough" - a mid range, mid priced scanner under $4000 that could handle 40k - 60k sheets in a reasonable time, like under a week.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Any chance that you could "rent" one from a Copier Leasing company? 6 month contract for a high end scanner? If it works great, extend the contract or look for a used one and buy it with service?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    The problem is that to jump from this "mid range" to the "high end" high speed scanning hardware is a major price hike.

We noticed that too while doing research for scanners. What about buying two of the midrange scanners?

Also look at Canon and Kodak.
    edited July 2007
    The two scanners idea is intriguing. Nice thinking outside the box :)

The only downside is a distinct lack of available computers here at the office. We would obviously need two workstations, so to toss the additional cost of another computer adds to the end price, although 2 scanners + new computer would still be cheaper than a high end scanner :eek3:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I have a client who uses several Canon DR-3080CII. I installed them all and configured them. I don't remember the exact specs but know that over SCSI they will do something like 30 double sided pages per minute and 60+ single sided pages per minute, which is effing crazy. ~$2500 and They have been solid for over a year now. It's an Immigration Law office and the scanners rarely stop.

EDIT: I don't remember how I found this thread, but holy crap. Sorry. I could have sworn it was under "Hot Threads" :scratch: Oh well, hope your scanning adventure went well LAST YEAR.
    edited June 2008
    It was under hot threads because a scumbag spammer revived the thread.
    edited June 2008
    The job never happened. They bailed.