Should I setup Raid 0 or not?

edited July 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys,

I'm setting up a new system soon, and originally I had planned to setup Raid 0 with two WD 250gb Sata 16mb cache drives. I've never setup raid before so I'm not sure how great it is, but I've known about it for a while. After doing some more research, I'm not really sure if striping will be worth the added risk, and work (Determining the best stripe size for my purposes seems like it might be a hassle).

I virtually never edit videos and I'm not running a server or anything like that. I am building this PC primarily for gaming and work (Excel, Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, maybe some Access, etc. --nothing demanding. My current PC handles all of these applications with ease.)

It seems like the benefits of Raid 0 do not really apply to games, except for load times (which I would really appreciate), and are more for file-intensive users, whatever that means.

So, is it worth setting up Raid 0 for a decrease in some load times that usually aren't that bad to begin with? At least, loading up Steam and CS:Source takes a while, but I can't play the newer games so I'm not sure how bad the load times have become. When I get my 8800GTS going I should be able to play just about anything. I ask this question when considering that if one drive fails, then all the data is lost (which would really suck), and I've read that the drives will be more prone to failure. I'm also not a huge fan of backing things up, in fact, I never do it. In the past I have always used two drives, one for the OS and programs integrated into the registry that would require a reinstallation if the OS was wiped, and the other for media, documents, paging file, some games, and some programs. I've always enjoyed this setup and the extra security that I feel it brings, so I've been thinking maybe I should just use this setup again.

If anyone has some experience with Raid 0 setups and their benefits, I'd be interested to hear what you think. I apologize for the long post, but I'm bored at work!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Given all your concessions about what you do not do on your PC (Video, etc), combined with the added risk, I give a very sound no to RAID0.
  • edited July 2007
    Yeah...I think I agree now. I was just doing some more research (I have nothing to do at work as an intern, I've never been paid so much to sit on my ass) and I almost changed my mind. People were claiming that their Raid 0 systems loaded games SO much faster and booting up into windows was really quick, etc. While I would appreciate quick boots into windows (Although my PC is already pretty damn quick), quick map level changes in FPS games, and zoning loads in MMOs (if I ever find the time to play one again) I think these people are subconsciously exaggerating.

Someone pointed out that many people that switch from a single drive to a raid 0 array often use newer drives that operate on newer platforms with a faster system, and they usually have a clean install of windows.

I can't post links yet, but for anyone else that has the same question I found a good article on anandtech that benchmarks a dual raptor raid 0 setup. For gaming, the raid 0 raptors loaded ut2k4 and farcry about 4 seconds faster than a single 7200rpm seagate (Total load time for each game was ~30, and ~40 seconds respectively. So, about 10% faster.)

In their final words, Anandtech was even so bold to say they saw no place for raid 0 on any desktop computer. Although, I'm not sure if I completely agree with that, but the point was taken. Some hardcore users that encode or edit large files may find worthwhile benefits.

Thanks for your opinion.
  • edited July 2007
    I have never been a fan of Raid 0 because mainly I want more storage than speed. If you cant wait a whole 4 seconds to play your game go for it. If you can wait then keep your current set up.

I use the same setup as you do (almost). I just have a drive in my main computer for my OS/games/installed programs and I use a server for all my files.
    edited July 2007
    If you want fast loading times, use a Western Digital Raptor for your windows/games drive, and a slower, massive drive for storage.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Second vote for no. RAID 0 doubles your chance of losing everything, but does not even come close to doubling your performance.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I vote NO.
    I have had them fail on me. At first it is neat to have the speed, but after loosing the array you will think twice.
  • edited July 2007
    All good points, and well taken. Thanks.

Too bad I already ordered my drives and I'm eager to get the system going, maybe I would have sprung for a raptor/regular drive combo if I had thought more about it.
  • edited July 2007
    Second vote for no. RAID 0 doubles your chance of losing everything, but does not even come close to doubling your performance.

I guess I dont count :(

/cry

:-P
  • edited July 2007
    Would it change anyone's opinion that the drives I ordered have the following feature:

RAID-specific, time-limited error recovery (TLER) - A feature pioneered by WD, significantly reduces drive fallout caused by the extended hard drive error-recovery processes common to desktop drives.

Also, what does everyone think of the 7200.10 drive by seagate? Maybe I should have bought that instead.
    edited July 2007
    Doesn't help. The most common sort of drive failure is mechanical, where no amount of special drive features can save you outside of better materials at time of production.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    No.

I essentially agree with Anand's statement quoted above. In my opinion, after having used RAID 0 for years, RAID 0 is a toy, and not much more. Yes indeed - double your chances of data destruction with only a minor performance improvement in a limited number of destop applications.

If you must use RAID 0, please ensure you have a system/data backup regimen that you execute on a very routine basis. If you wish to play with RAID 0, have at it. It is fun - I won't argue that. But the real world benefits just aren't there.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    just for testing in a lab, sure, on a production machine, no.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2007
    I run raid 0 at home (2X36GB raptors) But I wouldn't store anything I would care if I lost. (Everything I care about gets stored on my server)