I was brave, look what i did!

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited July 2007 in Hardware
My cpu was running very hot of late, due partially to me run two instances of fah constantly and also the bond between the cpu and the heat sink was crap because i had removed my heat sink from the cpu and then put it back without using fresh thermal paste

DOH!

so i bought some arctic silver paste

but then thought i might as well treat the puter to a new fan, its only fair aint it?

so the simple task of re applying thermal paste turned into the purchase and installation of a ZALMAN CNPS 9500 LED lol

now i am still quite nervous when working inside a computer but am slowly confronting my fear one component at a time

just a question though

has anybody else had trouble fitting this particular hsf to a 478 motherboard?

it took me ages

the bar that holds the hsf in place seemed to be ever so slightly high for the two brackets that go either side

i had to ben the bar slightly and it was a real battle to get it on there

worth it though

not only does it look pretty, but it also helped me get my cpu temp down from 65°+ with cpu maxed out to 50° totally maxed'

im happy :)

DSC00110.jpg
DSC00109.jpg

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Good work! Getting over fears of ruining expensive electronics can be daunting, but as you can see it's a step-by-step process that can be very rewarding in the end. :thumbsup:
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2007
    Oh yeah, I'm terrified of installing things that aren't designed to work seamlessly with existing standards, such as installing heatsinks that require the removal or reworking of the normal retention clamp, but mainly I fear damaging the processor or motherboard. Installing third party crap on stuff like hard drives, video cards, or memory I could care less about because those CAN be cheap or free to replace if you know the right people. Motherboards and processors are so fragile, since there's so many pins on the processor, and the board has to do so much and dictates if ANYTHING works at all.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited July 2007
    Motherboards and processors are so fragile, since there's so many pins on the processor, and the board has to do so much and dictates if ANYTHING works at all.

precisely why i was cacking myself when removing the processor!
  • edited July 2007
    Surprisingly though, once you smoke a processor you are much less nervous about it. Melting silicon and enjoying a pretty light show can be very therapuetic. There's nothing quite like that moment when you know you just killed a component!

Or the smell of freshly charred circuits in the morning :-)
  • edited July 2007
    I love the smell of electrical burning in the morning....

I think we all know that smell :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    DJ, good show on conquering your fear, "one component at a time." That's the best way.

Free advice. You probably already recognized that your computer case is not at all designed for a custom built, high performance computer. Oh my goodness, it doesn't even have an exhaust fan! Look, I'm not making fun of you or your equipment. We all make improvements to our tech toys in incremental installments. Your Zalman is blowing hot air directly into the power supply unit. PSU cooling fans are designed to cool the PSU's internals, but are not designed to cool computers. You risk damaging the PSU through overheating by forcing hot air into it. I notice that the rear exhaust fan bracket in your case is, well, fanless. Consider installing an exhaust fan at that location and orienting the Zalman 9500 in that direction.
    edited July 2007
    thats some good advice actually

my thinking was that the air from the cpu would flow out with the air from the psu but what you said makes alot of sense

looking at my case is there any exhaust fan you would recommend?

the reason the cooling is not that extensive is because its an audio pc

the general idea is to have as few fans and noise making things as possible

i can mount my hsf the other way though and i shall probably be doing that in the not so distant future
    Leonardo wrote:
    DJ, good show on conquering your fear, "one component at a time." That's the best way.

Free advice. You probably already recognized that your computer case is not at all designed for a custom built, high performance computer. Oh my goodness, it doesn't even have an exhaust fan! Look, I'm not making fun of you or your equipment. We all make improvements to our tech toys in incremental installments. Your Zalman is blowing hot air directly into the power supply unit. PSU cooling fans are designed to cool the PSU's internals, but are not designed to cool computers. You risk damaging the PSU through overheating by forcing hot air into it. I notice that the rear exhaust fan bracket in your case is, well, fanless. Consider installing an exhaust fan at that location and orienting the Zalman 9500 in that direction.
    edited July 2007
    i may well look into getting a new case

and a new mobo and processor
  • RatBurger08RatBurger08 Corpus Christi, TX
    edited July 2007
    well that's innovative. It does seem a little out of place though.. Probably just me. Love the heatsink! I might get one of those myself, heard they were awesome with cooling.

I could say I've never really had so much a fear, just a major curiosity and nothing to work with, then i got a computer, ripped it apart, and put it back together. When it worked, then I knew I was destined to be an Uber nerd... HAHA.. Childhood..

Corey