AMD plans on being the low power leader

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Science & Tech
AMD's been struggling since the price war began with the processor giant Intel. They will be restructuring their fab's assets in an attempt to help the profit margin gain speed in the right direction for their sharholders.

AMD claims the intellectual edge they have over Intel, thanks to the aquisition of ATI, will enable themselves to bring forth the next generation of mobileness with its planned Fusion processors. the plan is to merge graphics and CPU cores starting in 2009.

In the mean time they plan to move to the same 45nm technology that Intel boasts and with an eight-core server processor to boot.

The fun never ends!

EE times

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    My bet is that Intel will do the same and rush out their own version of Fusion... it's probably already in the works. But it seems that anytime AMD does something now, Intel comes in and beats them to the punch. Guess they learned from the Hammer.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    AMD claims the intellectual edge they have over Intel
    I think most people who follow all this are about ready to throw up concerning AMD claims and marketing. I now count as merely babbling the words that come out of AMD spokespersons. Give me real, working product, then I will again listen to AMD marketing.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited July 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    I think most people who follow all this are about ready to throw up concerning AMD claims and marketing. I now count as merely babbling the words that come out of AMD spokespersons. Give me real, working product, then I will again listen to AMD marketing.

AMD is really doing things so that they are done right-

> In the meantime, as he eagerly awaits Barcelona hitting the market, Qel purchases a Kentsfield ... <
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    AMD has been all talk and no product for 18 months.

I don't care about your roadmaps.
    I don't care about Bulldozer, or Falcon, or Bobcat, or your ULV chips.
    I don't care about tri-fire -- or the substation I need to run them.
    I don't care about G3MX.
    I don't care about spider.
    I don't care about your chipsets -- for the record, they stink and nobody wants to make them.
    I don't care about your financial burden; you got yourself into it by being lazy and taunting a sleeping giant.

I want silicon.
    I want benchmarks.
    I want you to stop telling me it's incomprehensibly powerful, because that's what you said about the 2900XT and it's a flaming hunk of crap unworthy of anyone's money.

I want 3GHz, I want quad, and I want you to hurry the hell up and cough up 45nm before the 3.33GHz Penryns grind your mismanaged company into the dirt. Day late and 600 million dollars short.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    AMD has been all talk and no product for 18 months.

I don't care about your roadmaps.
    I don't care about Bulldozer, or Falcon, or Bobcat, or your ULV chips.
    I don't care about tri-fire -- or the substation I need to run them.
    I don't care about G3MX.
    I don't care about spider.
    I don't care about your chipsets -- for the record, they stink and nobody wants to make them.
    I don't care about your financial burden; you got yourself into it by being lazy and taunting a sleeping giant.

I want silicon.
    I want benchmarks.
    I want you to stop telling me it's incomprehensibly powerful, because that's what you said about the 2900XT and it's a flaming hunk of crap unworthy of anyone's money.

I want 3GHz, I want quad, and I want you to hurry the hell up and cough up 45nm before the 3.33GHz Penryns grind your mismanaged company into the dirt. Day late and 600 million dollars short.

Tell us how you really feel... it's OK... let it out man.... :p

I gotta agree, I mean I have this area in my heart for AMD, and this unquenchable thirst for more power(less caffeine(energy) please! I have bills to pay) so Intel's the only thing out there and it's not uber expensive.

I see AMD in the same position it was YEARS ago, not as powerful, but good on your wallet. Except now the wallet isn't hurting as much when you go with Intel. Of course my computer is a laptop with a P-M 2GHz and over a year old using technology 2-4 years old.
  • edited July 2007
    I still have a place in my heart for AMD :(

It's just becoming a smaller and smaller place.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I think AMD is honestly holding its cards close to its chest... letting Intel think they don't have to worry. If I am wrong shoot me, but why would AMD want to show its hand to a company that is willing to spend billions to make sure they win? AMD had a good hand with the Athlon 64 which came out of nowhere and wtf pwned Intel. This could very well be the case again...

Sure AMD gave us names and roadmaps etc.. But there wasn't much info on them.... why cause they want Intel to think they are going to remain on top.

It will only take AMD1 week to get parts out and benchmarks posted around every tech site online. And once every tech site gets there new chips they will bench and they will review. it is a double edge sword AMD is playing with. They claimed the server side would see a 40% increase is it true? if it is than it will be right inline with penryn and it is a 1st gen part, wait until it matures, like any other line.

okay I'm done... tbh I really don't care anymore as I am now 100% laptop bound :)