SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
edited September 2007 in Hardware
Ok this is a very strange problem

I have a MSI 865GV-M3 motherboard
1500mb RAM
p4 3.0GHz CPU
ATI 9800 AGP
80GB SATA HDD

last week my computer didnt start properly, was working fine the night before and then next day this problem

I turn on and I can see the boot up screen and then the windows logo and blue bar then as it goes to the login screen the screen goes blank. Now it doesnt go Black - just blank.
I found that if i move the video cable to the onboard vga then the screen comes back,
In Device manager it showed the video controller not working. even after updating the latest drivers - wont start.

So I installed a second hard drive - clean install of windows vista
same problem EXCEPT the video controller is now installed and working properly.
I changed the video card for one i know is working - exact same result

I can access my screen via the onboard vga - but not via my agp graphics card.

Any questions for more info please just ask!
thanks
Siggy

Comments

• edited July 2007
    You might want to try disabling on board video. There could be a conflict. My computer at work did the same thing when I installed a new video card.
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited July 2007
    Yes thats the fist thing i thought of - but it makes no difference - other than i can not see anything once it gets to the login!

The card is ok right upto just before the login screen then it just goes onto a dark but not black screen, if it can see the windows logo, the scrolling blue bar - why cant it see after that?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    What happens if you take the new card out?
    edited July 2007
    I can go all the way with onboard vga! eg will boot and login into windows, just not if the video card is used
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Uninstall the drivers for the onboard video card and disable it in the BIOS, then try the add-in again.
    edited August 2007
    uninstalled all drivers - reinstalled - no change

I have the vista error message - :
    Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

No S**T Sherlock!

anyway after countless hours on the google path - NOTHING - I have found out that it is probably caused by the chipset on my motherboard - MSI 865GV-M3
    It is an AMI Bios 11/17/2006
    It uses the Intel 865G Chipset family -(I Think)

One of the solutions suggested going into device manager and finding the AGP Controller - I Dont seem to have one listed!! - Is this bad?

Please help - this is driving me crazy!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    It will be listed under "Display Adapters" and "AGP" may or may not be part of the name.
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    It will be listed under "Display Adapters" and "AGP" may or may not be part of the name.

Sorry I didnt make that very clear! - I have the display adapters and it shows the error ? and says Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

However there is meant to be something under System Devices saying AGP and there isnt!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    However there is meant to be something under System Devices saying AGP and there isnt!
    Well, you see, I guess I was the one wasn't clear enough. What I was trying to say is that may NOT be anything in Device Manager, even when the system is 100% that is termed "AGP." Have you actually seen "AGP" in Device Manager before?
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Have you actually seen "AGP" in Device Manager before?

Honestly I cant say that I have! _ I have an AGP card and an AGP motherboard so I just presumed there should be something in there!

lol
    edited September 2007
    Hi Guys - This has still not been solved - so a quick update!

ATI deny all responsibility - saying that the Intel controller is at fault - Intel say that it is MSI and MSI dont even bother replying.
    in safe mode the drivers cannot be installed - error message is Failed to load detection driver
    Video is present in POST and sfe mode - but as soon as vista loads I get a dark screen - no video at all.
    Using the onboard video - I get a the following error message under the ATI 9800 PRO:Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

So can anyone help me or do I have to go back to XP?

thanks