E6850 Temps

edited August 2007 in Hardware
Hi, I've just broken in a E6850. I changed my FSB to 360 which changed my speed to roughly 3.24ghz. I'm using the stock intel cooler w/ AS 5 and I idle in the mid to high 30's w/ case temps at 50ish (2 case fans at medium speed in a Antec p180). Running prime95 the cpu temp jacked to 70ish (high I believe).

What temp is too high on this stock cooler? The case temps might be explained by the 8800GTS I'm running. I believe the temps aren't a ton lower when its not overclocked but ill have to change it back to get the other temp data.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    55c is too high. I'm at 46C on the hottest core at full load @ 3.1GHz.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Tange, I'm wondering if your hardware monitoring software needs to be reset/adjusted. It's impossible to have an air cooled CPU running cooler than the ambient air that is cooling it. That defies physics. Perhaps your case temperature (ambient) is 30's and the the CPU in the 50's? If that's the situation, your CPU is way overheating. You shouldn't 50's for the CPU unless it's at full load. If you are running a premium heatsink, you shouldn't see 50's unless the CPU is running full load and highly overclocked.
  • edited July 2007
    I'm using C.O.M which is gigabyte's web app for sys info. Systemp (as the app calls it) is in the 50's, cpu temp is 38-40 idle. BIOS reports temps right around the same.
  • edited July 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    55c is too high. I'm at 46C on the hottest core at full load @ 3.1GHz.

Stock HS or something aftermarket?

Edit: I should note I've only had this about half a week. There's a burn in period for Arctic Silver 5 I believe?
    edited July 2007
    The burnin period is about three days.

I'm using an after-market cooler because you and I are both running frequencies the stock cooler was not only not designed to handle, but a dangerous idea to use in our circumstance.
  • edited July 2007
    Here's my current data (still overclocked). Guess I'll have to run it at stock for awhile.

AS5 website reads 200 hrs burn in (8 days) and several 'thermal cycles' though I think your right, a few days.
    edited July 2007
    That program has your case and CPU temperatures reversed. It's also not showing you the temperature of both cores.

That program stinks. Use CoreTemp.
  • edited July 2007
    What do you think ? Whats tjunction temp?

edit, 2nd is under load from 2 instances of prim95 torture test (one on each core)

another edit: little while longer and its at 62C under load
    2.JPG 28.9K
    3.JPG 28.9K
    edited July 2007
    62C is way too hot, as in dangerously, damage-your-cpu hot. Your heatsink is more than capable of moving off the heat at idle, but it is not prepared to handle full-load temps. When I put my CPU from full load, it goes up by a mere 6C.
  • edited July 2007
    Ok, back to stock speeds.

idle and under load

Still strikes me as slightly high. Perhaps I didn't install the HS correctly or maybe it moved around too much during install and the thermal paste got spread thin.
    4.JPG 28.9K
    5.JPG 28.9K
    edited July 2007
    It's pretty standard for the stock cooler. You could reduce that by 8-14C with a better cooler, but that's standard.
  • edited July 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    It's pretty standard for the stock cooler. You could reduce that by 8-14C with a better cooler, but that's standard.

Good to hear, guess I just got over zealous on over clocking w/ the stock cooler. If I feel the need for speed I'll have to find a better HS otherwise she stays stock. Hell, stock on this lady is pretty fast...

Thanks for the help thrax! Love icrontic (short-media)! (hey, i was introduced to it as short-media, I went to school w/ GeneralKeebler (name on SM, not sure if he still uses it here) who showed me the site)
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2007
    Pick up a cooler master Gemini 2. Solved all of my high-end temp problems.
    edited July 2007
    I'm glad I could help you, sir.

If'n you decide you want to upgrade, I suggest a Thermalright Ultra-120 and a Thermaltake SmartFan-II. Your chip will be a pleasant little icebox, and they're the best money can buy. Don't you want the best for your sweet chip? ;):D
  • edited July 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    I'm glad I could help you, sir.

If'n you decide you want to upgrade, I suggest a Thermalright Ultra-120 and a Thermaltake SmartFan-II. Your chip will be a pleasant little icebox, and they're the best money can buy. Don't you want the best for your sweet chip? ;):D

Does the fan strap to that HS you linked to? I've heard something about arctic coolers being good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

I imagine any of these are going to be a bit of a pain to install on my board:
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128046
    As a board HS has to come off to install aftermarket HS's.
    edited July 2007
    That heatsink you linked is inferior to the heatsink I linked. The Thermalright is the best on the market - it has no competition, and the fan does indeed strap to the hsf.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I've got the thermalright 120 (not ultra) and going from the stock intel cooler to the thermalright with a decent 120mm fan and my temps went from 65ish under full load on an E6600 @ 3.3GHz down to 47c under full load.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Thrax, I've seen the enthusiasm surrounding the Thermalright 120's, but the Newegg customer reviews give me pause. Apparently many knowledgeable, skilled computer builders have registered quality control problems, specifically that the finish on the 120's base has often been not flat and very poorly finished - poor machining. Do you know if Thermalright has addressed the QC problem?
    edited July 2007
    It is true that some U120s are leaving the factory with convex bases, however it is not a pandemic issue as Newegg suggests.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    More people are inclined to report a negative than they are a positive, too.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2007
    Some people don't even REPORT. I bet there are alot of those that were in fine condition.
  • edited July 2007
    And does a convex HS damage the CPU or just do a poor job of cooling?
    edited July 2007
    Poor job of cooling.
  • edited July 2007
    Do you know if I'd have any issues installing it on a gigabyte GA-p35-dq6?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128046

There's a lot of HS's on this guy. I know I have to remove the crazy cool HS on the back of the board to install any aftermarket HS.
    edited July 2007
    PM Shwaip. I believe he recently installed that HSF/mobo combo successfully.
  • edited July 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    PM Shwaip. I believe he recently installed that HSF/mobo combo successfully.

Thanks, he's indicated its not a bad process once you get the back plate removed. Thanks again Thrax!
  • edited August 2007
    Just wanted to ask another question related to this. After things have burned in a bit I found that after boot according to core temp my temps are as low as 18 or 19C. I find this odd cause thats roughly 64F. I'm in a coolish basement but 64? After I put some load on the system then taking it off I get it to stable out around 22C, or 72F. This is about room temp. Is that normal?

Under load I still hit in the high 40's but thats ok. I'll get a new cooler eventually.

Thoughts?
    edited August 2007
    It's not impossible. See my thread here:

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=550873#post550873