Current Quad & Dual Core Setup: Price

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited October 2007 in Folding@Home
The idea of this post is to show the current price of systems on the market... not stating what systems we are buying :)

If you can find a cheap setup better than this let me know.... as this is as cheap as I can get as of today...

Quad Core:

Case + PSU = CoolerMaster $49.99
Segate 80GB HD = $38.99 (we can get smaller cheaper drives)
WinTec 1 GB DDR2 800 = $44.99
AsRock 775 Quad Mobo = $56.99
Intel Q6600 = $319.00 (might be able to score one at $266)
GPU - We have PCI cards

Total + Shipping = $574.64

Dual Core Intel:

MSI 775 = $43.99
Intel E6600 Dual Core: $222.90 (As low as $126.00)
GPU - We have PCI cards

Total + Shipping = $454.82

Dual Core AMD:

Foxconn AM2 = $54.99 (-20 MIR = $34.99)
AMD AM2 6000+ = $169.00
GPU - We have PCI cards

Total + Shipping = $407.60 with $20 MIR = $387.60

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    As my budget does not allow for upgrades this year, I haven't kept up with pricing.

As for Folding bang for buck, there is no debate: your first system blows the others out of the water. For only $120 more, it will nearly double the C2D's production and more than double the 6000+'s.

I thought we were going to deal with recalls and dud machines before we issued any new ones? Q, any comment?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    At this point, recalling bad rigs and then we recall any rigs from hosts that do not want to be hosts anymore. THEN we start looking to upgrade the crappiest rigs with newer rigs.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    For the Q6600 to reach its full potential it needs more ram and possibly better ram. The current Q setup is gimped by a few factors mainly being FSB...

Also it might make sense to go with a cheaper setup that can be upgraded in the future. Most C2D chips are pretty cheap the above is with a 6600 but we can shave almost another $100 by going with a cheap chip.

I think building the ICx rigs should be based on a upgrade path as well as focus on improving the current systems. As of now you can even get a mid priced AMD chip for under $100 which would put the AMD rig $280 cheaper than Intel’s quad setup. I also think AMD's Quad core will be better at folding than Intel's based on the on die memory controller.

I think before we decide on Intel or AMD we need to see performance numbers of AMD's quad core and what prices they will ship at. As of now AMD will have to come in at Intel’s prices to stay competitive, and I am sure they will.

But as Q said no new rigs are going to be bought for a bit as we need to get old rigs back and find out who doesn’t want to host anymore. I just made this list to show where the market is at.
    edited July 2007
    Does anyone have AMD Dual Core SMP numbers? how many PPD do the newer chips put out?

I mean AMD chips are so much cheaper and play ball with Intels mid range pretty well.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I'm running SMP on my Opteron 170 (2.0 GHz) with 2 GB of RAM. ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939.

She's pushing out 40 minutes a frame, I think. WAY TOO SLOW. Also... I've killed two WU's because it failed to complete in time. I have NOT overclocked the system and the OS is not optimized either.
    edited July 2007
    so how much performance is there to be gained on a 3.0Ghz chip running AM2?
    edited October 2007