Will it work?

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Hardware
Hey all, I recently discovered I'm an idiot :eek: and thought a Pentium D would be worth getting... Then I decided, just for the hell of it, to look at the difference between a Pentium D and a Core 2 Duo and ooooh boy did I change my mind... I am now going to get a Core 2 Duo, if it's compatible.. which I'm not sure it is and is the reason I'm posting now. I have an LGA775 pin socket and a SiS649 chipset, but I don't know if it can support a 2.67GHz Core 2 Duo. Any help appreciated, thanks again all :P
Haru

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    What is the motherboard brand and model?
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    What is the motherboard brand and model?

Gigabyte GA-8S649MF
    edited July 2007
    Harudeth, I could find nothing anywhere to show that the SIS 649 chipset supports C2D. I did find that it supports Smithfield, which is the 90nm first generation Intel dual core, the D8XX series CPUs. I do no know if it supports Presler core CPUs - D9XX series, 65nm (second generation Intel dual core).
    edited July 2007
    Thanks :) Well, I bought it anyway... it was a bargain. 2.67GHz Core 2 Duo, 1333 Bus 4MB L2cache for... £129. Even if it doesn;t work I can sell it for more lol :P
    edited July 2007
    You will be selling the C2D, I'm afraid. I'm almost 100% sure the SIS 649 supports nothing newer than Pentium D.
  • edited July 2007
    I agree with Leo. I could not find anything that says that board supports anything higher than a P D
    edited July 2007
    Hmm, well, a friend of my dad's at work found a compatability list and a C2D was on it.. they're going to take my PC in and plonk a spare C2D in it to check anyway :P Thanks for the research guys, as always, Icrontic, I thank you :P