Trying a Quad-Core PC

2»

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Asus do have manual strap control, but the haven't programmed as many dividers on each strap i would have wished. I'ts kinda opposite for me. When i change strap, memtest doesn't show any difference.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited August 2007
    Well all the parts are in and on display here :thumbsup:.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23730&stc=1&d=1186531773

Unfortunately I got the B3 stepping (SL9UM- and yes, it means Newegg still has them), so (not so unfortunately) we’ll have some incentive to look at a Pennryn when they become affordable. It also means I’ll settle on a more conservative overclock when I’m done playing with this one.

The Thermaltake V1 CL-P0401 HSF has taken a lot of criticism for the installation pins and has been called big, heavy, difficult and cheap. I found almost none of this to be true for this config.

The pins are EXACTLY the same as those found on the Q6600 retail processor HSF (right).

attachment.php?attachmentid=23731&stc=1&d=1186531773

Rehearsing with these, I found them to be extremely easy to install. However, there was a minor clearance issue between it and the DQ6 Silent-Pipe chipset radiator fins.

The V1 HSF doesn’t come with information on airflow direction and mine would not fit going the wrong way. It does, however (per picture), barely clear in the correct direction (blade concave side is exhaust side as shown). If it were the other way, there would little option but to grind down the interfering fins on the Silent-Pipe. The V1 pipes are extremely rigid- like steel tubing- and I would hate to risk the rest of the unit trying to bend one to fit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23732&stc=1&d=1186531773

I have NO issues, clearance or otherwise, pushing in the pins securely on this HSF. I suspect those having issues are those who are trying to install this HSF with the mobo in the case likely with the memory installed as well. You do want to do this job before all that.

Well- more to come- but it may take a while since we’re busy having fun :) .
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    A couple of those part look like the might require one of these ;)
    edited August 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    A couple of those part look like the might require one of these ;)

Hehe! :vimp:
    edited August 2007
    As a note- we did notice that there would be problems with the HSF push pins if directions are not followed. The pins should be pushed in diagonally- being sure to push the two pins on each diagonal simultaneously.

Despite a rather pleasant go of installation we can not get a display.

-The system powers up and all fans work- including CPU and video fans.
    -Tried different monitor and cable.
    -Tried the other PCIe slot.
    -Tried my working video card- still no display.
    -Supplemental power is plugged-in, it makes an ugly squeal if it’s not.
    -There are no chirps or beeps- also no POST complete beep.
    -The display remains absolutely blank- no background change whatever.

Am at work right now, but will try a BIOS reset next. If that doesn’t work, or if no else here has another idea (please put it here if you think of it)- I’m suspecting the motherboard and an RMA. Rats. :sad2:
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Have you tried only one RAM module? Or tried the board outside of the case?

The DS3P I have been working on seems very solid. During some rather insane OC attempts I haven't used clear cmos once. The bios seems to detect a bad oc attempt, and reboots using stock settings.

I have a DQ6 here now too, but haven't had time to try it yet :)
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Asus do have manual strap control, but the haven't programmed as many dividers on each strap i would have wished. I'ts kinda opposite for me. When i change strap, memtest doesn't show any difference.

Nice! I might have to try an Asus board too then (to replace a P5W DH Deluxe I have in a computer here). The P5K-E looks tempting. Same PCB as the P5K Deluxe and almost as cheap as the DS3P some places. I'm a bit worried about the P5K vanilla and the Vreg setup for quad overclocking...
    edited August 2007
    lsevald wrote:
    Have you tried only one RAM module? Or tried the board outside of the case?

Thanks, Isevald :thumbsup: . Nice ideas. But it turned out to be a case of missing a 8-pin 2x12V power connector on the mobo that for some reason was black-capped. Need I say more (or would an emoticon of flagellation do? :banghead: ) .

Sorry for the false alarm. It's running nicely now (pretty quietly I might add).

We'll have more done soon- but also apologize that it's taking a while. This is a project my son and I are doing together- but we both work different schedules with commitments and are trying to squeeze this in. Hopefully our next post will be for tweaking ideas. Again, thanks for your help.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    2x12V power connector on the mobo that for some reason was black-capped
    What, you mean you forgot to pull off the cap and connect the PSU cable to it? ;D;D No matter how experience we become, we are still prone to dumb mistakes like that.

Hey, I noticed the Alaskan Amber bottles in the parts picture. Class! Good job. They make a Christmastime fest beer that has flavoring from fir tree needles brewed in. It's outstanding. Don't know if they sell that outside of Alaska.

Well anyway, glad you got it powered up. Keep us updated.
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Hey, I noticed the Alaskan Amber bottles in the parts picture. Class! Good job.

I actually had you in mind when I set it up wondering if you’d figure it out despite the lo-res pic. Good brew and it is pretty widely distributed (they had it in Maui : ) ) though I don’t recollect the Christmas flavor. Well, maybe they’ll have Longboard in Juneau or Anchorage if I take that cruise.

We finally got back on the system for a little while yesterday + this morning and ran diagnostics for a couple of hours (Memtest and Data Lifeguard), but in spite of that we kept getting a blue screen just as the Windows install CD would finish loading-

STOP: 0x000000ED or the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error.

After some fun and games it turned out to be the optical drive going bad.

Fixing that and installing XP, we let it get done with a couple of Folding WUs that the 2.8GHz P4C didn’t finish. Below is a comparison. According to this, a Q6600 core has a raw cycle-to-cycle computational improvement of about 3.5 times that of an equivalent P4C Hyper-thread.

2.8GHz P4C HT2
    [04:06:58] Protein: p2423_Ribo_asp_aux
    [04:06:58]
    [04:06:58] Writing local files
    [04:06:58] Completed 157290 out of 250000 steps (63)
    [04:07:10] Extra SSE boost OK.
    [04:14:55] Writing local files
    [04:15:02] Completed 157500 out of 250000 steps (63)
    [05:22:28] Writing local files
    [05:22:28] Completed 160000 out of 250000 steps (64)
    [06:29:12] Writing local files
    [06:29:12] Completed 162500 out of 250000 steps (65)
    [09:00:24] Writing local files
    [09:00:24] Completed 165000 out of 250000 steps (66)
    [10:07:03] Writing local files

2.4GHz Q6600 Core2
    05:05:51] Protein: p2423_Ribo_asp_aux
    [05:05:51]
    [05:05:51] Writing local files
    [05:05:51] Completed 186790 out of 250000 steps (75)
    [05:05:53] Extra SSE boost OK.
    [05:11:43] Writing local files
    [05:11:43] Completed 187500 out of 250000 steps (75)
    [05:32:20] Writing local files
    [05:32:20] Completed 190000 out of 250000 steps (76)
    [05:53:26] Writing local files
    [05:53:26] Completed 192500 out of 250000 steps (77)
    [06:14:26] Writing local files
    [06:14:26] Completed 195000 out of 250000 steps (78)
    [06:35:50] Writing local files
    [06:35:50] Completed 197500 out of 250000 steps (79)

We’re downloading some tools (you know- CPU-Z, 3DMark06, Orthos, Core Temp). If you can think of other goodies for a quad overclocking, be sure to post it : ) .

I’m really impressed with the Thermaltake HSF- it’s quiet even when cranked up and has got some bling.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23767&stc=1&d=1186864940

While it is large, it still left plenty of clearance inside my case (see picture)- and it’s over an inch from the case cover.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23766&stc=1&d=1186865073

Finally, we’ve got an SMP client WU running right now with everything stock- 2260ppd. With this running, the power draw is about 245Watts and my temps are hanging around 60C. Hopefully they will drop a little more as the AS paste takes.

Well, more to come l8r :D ….
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for sharing, Qeldroma. Very exciting! Nothing like a fresh build--I'll tell ya :D

So when u gonna OC that bad boy :)
    edited August 2007
    Just had to show off that heatsink unit, didn't you! :mad:

Looks nice! :wink: Enjoy that new car smell, er, uh...you know what I mean.
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Just had to show off that heatsink unit, didn't you! :mad:

Just know that TTs drive you wild :vimp:
    lemonlime wrote:
    So when u gonna OC that bad boy :)

Hopefully a little this weekend. We're not too familiar with this board or the BIOS- even Intels of this gen for that matter. I kind of played with the BIOS menus a couple of days ago and tired a couple of settings that made no sense. I'd set the BIOS (latest 7/24) for 300 with a 9:1 multiplier and the boot said it was 2700MHz and so did Core Temp, but CPU-Z said it was 6x300 or 1800 MHz and it performed like it :? ... but I didn't have time to repeat and take snap/screenshots- but will next round.

I think I'm going to need a little help/pointers with this one.

Stay tuned ....
    edited August 2007
    When you overclock, just set the FSB:memory divider so the memory stays at stock. Have fun the CPU and learn it's capabilities and the motherboard's FSB limits before you stress the RAM. That will also be a good time to learn heat tolerances for the northbridge and CPU. Yeah, don't complicate it with memory overclocking until you know other limits. Besides, CPU brute force and L2 cache (TONS on that CPU!) matter most for Folding - more important than memory speed or timings.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    1. Only CPU-Z properly reports the speed of overclocked Intel chips.
    2. If you're overclocking a C2D or C2Q, you need to disable speedstep and/or C1 states. It's usually in the "CPU Configuration" menu of the Intel BIOS.
    3. Make sure your FSB:MEM is 1:1
    4. 400*7 or 400*8 is good for the Core 2s if your chip can do the multipliers.
    edited August 2007
    Thanks, Thrax- the Q660o has 6-9 integer multipliers, C1 is called CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) and speed-step is called EIST for this board.

As a little preface- when I played with BIOS 7/24, I managed to make the system unstable to the point that not even clearing the CMOS would allow anything stable outside of stock/SPD settings. Noting that the BIOS is a beta with waivers and trusting that the components were sound, we flashed BIOS 5/11. Stability has returned.

What in particular I might have done (if I did) to bork 7/24 I can't isolate, but we were playing with C1E, TM2 and EIST disabled and never went over 3.15GHz or 1.275Vcore. It kept overriding Vcore & CPU frequency settings and basically could not even go up to 2.7GHz and 1:1 memory without crapping out somewhere.

It's my son's machine so I had him read the manual, flash the BIOS to 5/11 and start with a consrvative setting and this is it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23799&stc=1&d=1187485121

attachment.php?attachmentid=23800&stc=1&d=1187485121

Some things might be not be what any of us would have done, but I found some things pretty notable.

As you can see from the CPUz and Core Temp, temps are under 60C and Vcore shows 1.216V- maybe a Vdroop issue? At any rate, it's running both cooler and with less power (240W) now than even stock- go figure.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23804&stc=1&d=1187486701

We used Orthos and Prime95 to test. Orthos does two cores an instance but both Orthos and P95 need to have affinities set for each instance at the Task Manager (the P95 affinity option for some reason didn't work).

It's folding a WU right now until we can get back to it in a couple of days. BIOS 7/24 has made us a little gun-shy about disabling C1E and TM2 again to try to OC this more agressively. The BIOS irritatingly flashes that red "System Voltage NOT Optimized". However, when we turned System Voltage Control to AUTO with a 2.8GHz OC, temps went into the 70s and Vcore on CPUz ramped up to 1.38V during test. Uh, I don't recommend this setting.

Again- thanks for all the tips :) and suggestions are always welcome - more l8r