correct way to stop the SMP client?

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Folding@Home
Now, each time I start the client I get a message saying the previous termination of core was improper.
I've tried just closing it as well as being clicked on the active window and doing a crtl c to close it.
I just want to make sure it doesn't mistake this for system instability and stop using advmethods or doing something else to limit the performance of my systems.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Your question is spot on. The problem you describe is a well known bug. Stanford is aware of it but has not found a fix yet.

After shutting down Folding SMP Windows with Ctrl + C, wait about 60-90 seconds. To be sure all is shut down, open processes with Ctrl+Alt+Del and look for the following:

FahCore_a1.exe (should be four instances when the client is running)
    mpiexec.exe
    smpd.exe

If any of those are still running, manually end process on them, in the order I listed them. SMPD has a tendency to keep restarting itself, so you may have to play hide and seek (seek and destroy?) with it a couple times.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2007
    We're not supposed to say "Seek and destroy." It's been substituted with "Sweep and Clear".
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the hint leo. I've gotten this too a couple of times.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I ran SMP for months with never seeing this, then just two weeks ago, BANG. And the problem was on more than one computer. SMP is just very, very touchy on how it is shut down.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited July 2007
    DanG wrote:
    .... I just want to make sure it doesn't mistake this for system instability and stop using advmethods or doing something else to limit the performance of my systems.

I honestly doubt that there is a penalty for this. I've done all manner of shutdown "procedures" (mostly simple Windows shutdowns) with my laptop and it even says

"Examination of workfiles indicates 8 consecutive improper terminations of core."

every time I start up FAH. However, I still get and kick out 1523 and 1760 point WUs. I honestly doubt they've even delineated an -advmethods SMP WU yet.

I think they would be more worried about corrupted files, EUEs, and WUs not completed on time.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    if you go into advanced options when first configuring the client, it does ask if you want to enable advmethods. Like you said, I'm not sure if it does anything at this point, but I don't want to to slow me down at all.