External PC Power Supply Unit!

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited August 2007 in Hardware
What a great concept - external PSU for a home computer. Unfortunately, this particular model wasn't the best PSU around, but kudos to its manufacturer for innovation!

Comments

• edited August 2007
    I really like that idea. It will reduce a lot of un needed heat
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Dislike the notion greatly.
  • edited August 2007
    Why? Other than it's ugly
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Ugly, inconvenient to move, I have cats.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    The larger the case, the less need there would be for an external PSU. My main appreciation for the external PSU is that someone has actually manufactured one now, and that it's one more tool available for a system builder.

To be honest, I'd much rather have a larger case with an internal PSU than a small case with peripheral-box permanently connected to it. You end up with the same hardware, but in two relatively large pieces instead of one, discrete piece.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Personally, I'd rather have an external one than internal. It just ends dumping more heat into a system, especially with the larger 700, 800 even 1000w units.
    I wouldn't have any issues with moving it, because since I built this system, it's been out from under my desk maybe 4 or 5 times in the 8 months I've had it, and even then it's usually only to upgrade something, blow the dust out and then replace it.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I would love to see them build a PSU into a UPS. That way it's integrated into a unit we have under our desk anyways and the circuitry can be shared to deliver a very stable output.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    build a PSU into a UPS
    That would not be practical for me. I've replaced so many UPSes when the batteries die. I've never been able to order a replacement battery that wasn't almost as expensive as purchasing a new UPS, so I've always just replaced the entire unit when the battery fails. The only exceptions have been when APC units have failed prematurely. Both times they were replaced under warranty by APC free of charge. But if it weren't for the battery issue, yes, UPS integrated with PSU would be excellent.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    A psu doesn't add more heat into the case than a single harddrive. A 300W psu with 100% load adds exactly the same amount of heat as a 2000W psu at 300W load. Just because a psu is beafier doesn't mean it's hotter.