My First Build

sweavesweave boston
edited August 2007 in Hardware
Just finished building my first system and have been running it nonstop for 2 days with everything working swimingly :D

motherboard: GA-P35-DQ6
cpu: Q6600 (not overclocked now but soon)
case: NZXT LEXA classic
ram: OCZ DDR2 800 revision 2
heatsink: Tuniq Tower
harddrive: Seagate 320GB sata2
psu: ultra x-finity 600w
video: xfx 8600 gts

my thoughts: all together the build went rather well except for the stock heatsink didnt end up fitting the motherboard so i went and got the tuniq which fit like a glove

speaking of which to get the tuniq in there was a bit worrying since it is a milimeter away from the DQ6's copper heatsinks but its not sitting on it (you have to remove the copper fin otherwise it wont fit to begin with)

temperature seem to be okay with the cores (using speedfan and an internal cpu probe) are idling the 4 cores around 35-36 degrees with a full load going up to 45-46 whilst normal working conditions have them at 40-42.

edit: strange but idle temps have been dropping now and it seems to be 30-32 lately. i wonder if thats the thermal compound working.

my next upgrades are going to be the psu next year (going to see about getting a modular one). changing the video card when the next gen nvidia or ati come out.

im planning on overclocking the system withing a few months (when i feel comfortable in doing so ^___^)

but first i'm going to replace the 4 fans that came with the lexa case to high flow ones.

does anyone have any suggestions for a good set of case fans?

also how about hard drive fans or a 5.25 bay fan since i have 3 free slots up front that im not planning on using apart from maybe adding a front bay fan controller since the tuniq pci slot one is kind of a hassle.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Nice system! I'm green with envy. Maybe you won't need to change the fans. I'll look up your case and post back.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    That's a very stylish, pleasing case without being gaudy or 'boy wonder' in appearance. Unless the fans are loud, I wouldn't bother replacing them unless you determine at a later time that warm air is not evacuating efficiently from the case.
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited August 2007
    i suppose so :)

as far as removing air goes i think thats fine
    the back and the top ones dump out the air whilst the front and side ones pull it in.

im thinking of at least replacing the side one that sits over my video card and close enough to my heatsink/cpu
    plus the fact that its one of the ones with the leds.
    i swear to god its like having a nightlight on when i go to sleep.