Looking for CPU advice

Kristof2Kristof2 Member
edited September 2007 in Hardware
I am looking to upgrade the processor in both my desktop and my laptop. I am looking to get the most folding power out of both of them.
Laptop is a Compaq Presario V6000 with a T2250 @1.73GHz and 1014 MB RAM.

Desktop has a DFI LANparty UT NF4 Ultra-D socket 939 motherboard, with a 3500+ @ 2.1 GHz and 2.00GB RAM.

I would like to get the fastest processor within reasonable cost so that I can increase my folding. what do you recommend?

Kristof2

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I'd recommend to save your money and start building a stash for a Core 2 Duo system. You might be surprised how cheaply you can build them these days. I wouldn't spend upgrade money on either of those systems. In my opinion, the performance gain for either machine through CPU upgrade would not warrant the expense. Perhaps the AMD CPUs are very inexpensive now and the price/performance ratio is better than I think. AS for the laptop, you won't find the bargains with mobile Core 2 dual core that you can find with desktop. With Windows SMP Folding, your laptop right now should be able to far outpace your Socket 939 system. Running SMP on the laptop, assuming it can handle the heat, would be an instant HUGE increase in points for you. If the laptop is not running SMP, the switch would at least double its production.
  • edited August 2007
    Actually, a dual core socket 939 Opty 165 for his desktop system would be pretty cost effective for folding work, Leo. When I was last folding with the Linux SMP client on my X2-4400 at 2400 MHz, it was averaging 800-1000 points/day. And since Newegg is selling the Opty 165's for less than $100 right now, it might be a good choice for Kristof. And the Opty 165's selling now overclock pretty darn decently; I have one I got in my backup rig that is running at 2700 MHz (300 X 9) with only around 1.375v vcore. But as always, your mileage may vary in overclocking. ;) It would still be the cheapest way for Kristof to go to dual core for now and will make for a good (but not cutting edge) performing computer.

As for the laptop, you will need to do some research and see what the fastest processor your laptop will support, then start looking around for a deal on one on eBay or maybe Newegg.
    edited August 2007
    Kristof, Mudd makes a good point concerning the Opteron. Just keep in mind though, that whatever the Opteron price is, it's that much money that will not be a able for a major upgrade. Your AMD system is essentially at the end of the road, except for Socket 939 CPUs still in the market.
  • edited August 2007
    Yes, you can consider any upgrade to the Opty 165 as the last upgrade available for that system. Next time around you will need to go pretty much the whole route, with a new mobo, cpu and ram being needed at minimum. But for getting another year or 2 of good performance out of your present system it is still a viable final upgrade. But the Opty 165 might get you all the way until DDR3 ram is mainstream and you could skip the DDR2 ram path altogether.
    edited August 2007
    But for getting another year or 2 of good performance out of your present system it is still a viable final upgrade.
    True.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I've been following this tread with interest as I am in the same boat as kristof.
    I do not want to go the whole hog right now and upgrade my entire PC.

I'm running a socket 939 3800 Dual core on an Asus A8N-Sli board and want to updrade it to the best I can. I have numerous rigs with socket 939 boards, so the chip won't be wasted. I think the slowest chip I have running right now is a AMD 64 3000+ and it folds 24/7 so any hand me down will be an improvement on that.

I'm open to suggestions
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Opteron 180 is the best bet for anyone on 939.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I have no doubt that the 180 is the best there is. However looking at Newegg, for a $70 difference in price between that and the 165 it seems the 165 has more bang for buck? I dunno if I want to sink that much more $$ into yesterday's technology.

Thank's for the great advice guys. If you think I should go for the 165 then I'm off to find me a new processor...

Kristof sorry for jacking your thread mate :range:

EDIT: I see the 175 is going for $129.00 (OEM - HSF not included) and if Newegg are offering $20 off if purchased through Paypal that makes it $18.50 (including shipping) more than the 165. I have not checked any other source but I assume that's a good deal?
  • edited August 2007
    Yeah, you can't beat the price/performance ratio of the Opty 165 if you don't mind overclocking, since they basically overclock to the same basic speeds as the higher speed Opteron dual cores. My 165 I got from Newegg around 6 months ago will overclock to 2.6 GHz without raising the vcore, which is the same speed as the stock Opteron 185 processors.
  • Kristof2Kristof2 Member
    edited September 2007
    OK so I finally bought the 165. It seems to boot up. IE the Hd light comes on and the fans spin. But the screen is blank. I googled it and I read that the Opteron and DFI might not be compatible. I put the old CPU back in and it works fine. Is there anything else I need to look at??

Kris
  • Kristof2Kristof2 Member
    edited September 2007
    Never mind. I tried it again today and now it is fine. I guess now I need to remember how to overclock. Any pointers? I havent done any overclocking at all on this board. Also since this is a dual core I want SMP client for folding right??

Kris
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2007
    Yes SMP all the way.
  • edited September 2007
    Kristof2 wrote:
    Never mind. I tried it again today and now it is fine. I guess now I need to remember how to overclock. Any pointers? I havent done any overclocking at all on this board. Also since this is a dual core I want SMP client for folding right??

Kris

Kris, lemonlime wrote a great article on how to overclock the socket 939 platform. Your can read it here and it should answer any questions you have about overclocking that new 165.