I finally signed up for the gym.

Comments

• NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    I don't want to hurt myself (strain, sprain, etc) but I do want to make the most of my time.

Understandable, just stretch adequately before hand and you'll be fine.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited August 2007
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Got it, thanks guys... New workout routine tomorrow !! :D

3.5MPH a cool down pace? holy crap man, I am only 5'9", my leg's are not very long.

I am 38 years old remember LMM, not a "young pup" like you ;)

I don't want to hurt myself (strain, sprain, etc) but I do want to make the most of my time.

I'm 5'10''...I would walk at 3.5mph between sprints. If I use a treadmill I sprint at about 9-10mph. I don't feel comfortable going much faster than that as I'm running on a moving belt. Thats one reason I prefer to run in a park or something instead of on 'the road to nowhere.' 38 ain't old enough to use the old man copout so get to it! When you're 58 you can use that as an excuse.

Like Nomad said, stretch before and after and you'll be fine. I never used to do it but I'm not 19 anymore either and these days it helps alleviate DOMS in the days following a workout so I do it too. If it doesn't hurt you aren't trying hard enough! Remember, pain is weakness leaving the body =)
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Hey hey....no copping out here. I can keep up with the best of you yungin's in a lot of ways ;);D

I know what the "good" pain feels like. I got rid of a lot of this before, with a very little effort, new lifestyle (job) has put a lot of it back on (much less active throughout the day). Mostly looking for pointers on maximizing how I workout, since I am less active.

Thanks for the tips :D
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    If you really want to strengthen up and put on the weight look into positive/negative strength training, and double up on chicken breast and lean steaks + a quality whey protein shake. Egg whites are great as well and tuna will pack defined muscle. A good protein/simple carbohydrate shake immediately following a work-out helps plus take any anti-oxidant vitamins then as well(C,E etc)
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Ok.... 1st time at the interval thing and I am in terrible shape.... could not do more than 2 at 7MPH. I was way over my head oxygen wise and I just don't think that is a good thing, could be dangerous.

Thinking about moving to 5 MPH and then trying to get 3 or 4 with a 2 minute period in between. Is that too long in between or does it have to be 1 minute intervals?
    edited August 2007
    It was hard for a reason and your body tells you to quit because it's not used to it. Keep doing it, work your way up.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited August 2007
    You aren't going to pass out from lack of oxygen you'll just have to stop running. Don't change the rest periods. If you can only do two, then do two a couple times a week and try for three next week. Work your way up, don't make it easier so you can do more immediately, that defeats the purpose.

I'll give you another reason to do this outside on a track at a high school or college. You get visual encouragement by seeing the end of your sprint get closer to you. If you know that in 45 seconds you're going to run three quarters the way around a quarter mile track then even though you're beat and sucking air like crazy you can push on and keep going because you can see the end getting closer and thats encouraging. On a treadmill there's no visual encouragement, you just keep running till your watch beeps.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2007
    W00t, up another lb :) I'm so happy right now.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Clutch wrote:

Gaining weight isn't my problem. I'm at 147 right now and would like to sit at 140. Dunno if that'll ever happen.
    edited August 2007
    For those of you who might need a bit of motivation, this is Citrixmeta, he was a member here and still has some of the most impressive results I've ever seen:

http://www.muscletank.net/profiles.aspx?citrixmeta
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    im currently going ot the gym now..finally man..at any rate...here is what i suggest for beefing up..and this will work

buy muslce milk...
    www.dpsnutrition.net

its GREAT, take it right before bed

www.allthewhey.com

take some of that right after the work out along with some OJ..everyone needs simple carbs after the work out...and alltheway is pure whey protein..its awesome

if you want to... you could also take this
    glutamine
    it helps repair muscle,. so you dont feel sore...i suggest using the met-rx brand
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Clutch wrote:
    :cheers2:
    edited September 2007
    I'm still pumping it out at the Gym. With my new diet I'm up about 13lbs so far. Going three times a week, haven't missed a day so far. I am taking pictures each month to log everything.

Here is the day I started at 119lbs.

08-02-07-119lb2.jpg

A month later on September 4th at 129lbs

09-04-07-127lb.jpg

09-04-07-127lb2.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Good progress, you can see your delts and arms are bigger.

*edit*

Traps as well.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Whoa whoa, when did we start allowing uber-hawt pr0ns in the pub? This clearly violates, even flaunts, the no-nip rule. :p

I'm no expert, but you look like you could beat me up in both photos, and that's my only criteria for evaluating physical condition. :crazy:
    edited October 2007
    Third month of working out, still packing on the weight. I'm up to 135lbs, I was 127lbs on my last picture update.

Here they are.

10-01-07-135lb.front.jpg

10-01-07-135lb.back.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Your pectoral muscles and arms are really starting to show through. Also, due to your chest development the skin on your stomach is tightening and you're starting to see your abs more visibly.

Great progress, keep it up.
    edited October 2007
    Thanks Nomad. I changed up my routine last night, so I'll be hitting up a few new exercises. My goal is to hit 150lbs lean, keeping my bodyfat percentage very low. So far I have done that, I haven't gained any excess bodyfat anywhere. I made a typo though, I have been working out for two months, not three.
    edited October 2007
    Clutch wrote:
    Thanks Nomad. I changed up my routine last night, so I'll be hitting up a few new exercises. My goal is to hit 150lbs lean, keeping my bodyfat percentage very low. So far I have done that, I haven't gained any excess bodyfat anywhere. I made a typo though, I have been working out for two months, not three.

You'll get there for sure. What's your routine like now?
    edited October 2007
    Day 1

Biceps
    Standing barbell curl 3 x 10 reps
    One-arm preacher curl 2 x 8-10 reps
    Incline dumbbell curl 3 x 10 reps
    Hammer curls 3 x 8-12 reps

Back
    Pull-ups – 3 x 8 reps
    Lat pulldowns – 3 x 8 reps
    Dumbbell rows 4 x 8 reps
    Cable rows – 3 x 12 reps
    Stiff-legged Deadlift 4 x 10 reps
    Bent over barbell rows 4 x 8-12 reps

Forearms
    Reverse barbell curl 2 x 6 reps
    Cable machine forearms 3 x 10
    Barbell wrist curls 3 x 15

Abs
    Cable crunches

Day 2

Hamstrings
    Single-leg leg curls 4 x 8 reps

Quads
    Squats 5 x 12 reps
    Leg press 3 x 15 reps
    Leg extensions 2 x 12 reps
    Deadlift 3 x 12 reps

Calves
    Smith machine calf raises 3 x 15

Day 3

Shoulder
    Smith machine shrugs 5 x 12 reps
    Seated dumbbell press 3 x 8 reps
    Seated rear delt machine 3 x 10 reps

Chest
    Incline bench press 4 x 8 reps
    Flat bench dumbbell press 3 x 12 reps
    Incline dumbbell flys 3 x 12 reps
    Cable crossovers 2 x 15 reps

Triceps
    Tricep pushdowns 3 x 12 reps
    Close grip bench press 4 x 8-10 reps

Traps
    Dumbbell shrugs 2 x 10 reps
    Upright rows 2 x 8 reps

I might tweak it a little bit, just drafted it up over the weekend. And finished my Day 1 workout yesterday.
    edited October 2007
    My only advice would be don't do anymore than 10 reps a set except on abdominal muscles where 12-15 is okay. Try using more weight this way.

For legs, I would cut the squats to three sets and focus on using more weight. Similarly, do three sets of dead lifts but only eight reps with more weight.
    edited October 2007
    Thanks for the advice Nomad, really appreciated.
    edited October 2007
    Time for an update.

The first picture compares me now to when I first started working out. Second picture is a back shot.

3-month-progress.jpg

10-31-07-139lbback.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Your traps, arms, shoulders and lats look twice the size. Great job.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Excellent progress!
    edited November 2007
    Thanks guys. I been hitting the weights pretty hard when I workout, and my diet is very clean.
    edited December 2007
    Time for the December pictures. I kinda slacked off for about a week on my bulking diet. I just got to the point where I did not feel like eating anything. I guess maybe because I have been bulking for 4 months now, eating 6-7 meals per day. So I'm down to 137lbs. But here are my pics, I really love going to the Gym, the best thing I have done for myself ever.

12-04-07-137lbfront.jpg

12-04-07-137lbfront2.jpg

12-04-07-137lbback.jpg
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Looking good, Jeremy.

I definitely understand what you mean about slacking on the food. I've been doing the same and I haven't gained much weight. My lifts are still increasing though, so the muscle has to be coming from somewhere...
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited December 2007
    yeah this time of the year is hard. I have been slacking too. The whole thanksgiving week I was drinking and eating, more drinking than anything else. Also dang girls getting me in trouble at bars too.
    edited December 2007
    Glad your lifts are still increasing Ghoosdum, keep hitting the weights hard.