I finally signed up for the gym.

13»

Comments

• NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Looking good, Jeremy.

I definitely understand what you mean about slacking on the food. I've been doing the same and I haven't gained much weight. My lifts are still increasing though, so the muscle has to be coming from somewhere...

Strength comes in the gym, size comes in the kitchen.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    After years of sitting at desks or in my car, I joined a gym with the wife last week. I was very athletic in my youth, played years of competitive soccer and wrestled in high school, but I was never much more than 135. I have gained weight over the last several years (I am 24) but am only up to 145 with 11.3% BF.

My goals are to put on 15 pounds while maintaining roughly the same %BF and increasing strength/stamina. In my prime I could run a 6 minute mile and play 2 full 45 minute halves as a midfielder. These days well...you know how it goes.

Between work, school, and family I only have time to go 2 nights per week for ~45 minutes so I have split my workouts into:

Day 1) Arms, Chest, Shoulders, Upper Back

Day 2) Abs, Legs, Lower Back

Not really sure about what machines/weights to use, reps, techniques, and the like. I have been told (by someone who may or may not know wtf they are talking about) that I should always be changing these things from workout to workout to prevent my body from adapting to a particular routine and causing a plateau in results. Upon advice from this same person I am warming up before each session with just 5 minutes on an elliptical machine and avoiding going much longer to prevent cutting out the weight I am trying to put on. This person is under the impression that a good cardio workout can be achieved through a very intense weightlifting session. My heart definitely gets going over 145 or so with the routines I have been making up for myself, taking very short (if any) breaks and pretty much kicking my own ass. This all feels right, but frankly this is not my domain and I am pretty much clueless.

Does my friend know what the hell he is talking about?

EDIT: I forgot diet. I eat relatively healthy. I do not eat Beef, Pork, or any other mammals for that matter. I try to eat as many chickens and fishes as possible and my grandmother would be proud of my vegetable intake. However I typically do not eat more than a PowerBar and a can of Monster for breakfast, I slam lunch, and eat a very large dinner. Which I know is pretty much the exact opposite of what I should be doing. I have an unopened canister of soy protein with spirulina that was supposed to get worked into my breakfast long ago...
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Well, the person you talked to is somewhat right. You don't want your body to adapt to your weightlifting routine. Some people, more advanced trainees I must stipulate, do not utilize the same routine week-to-week. However, the ability to do this comes with knowledge about your own body, what works and what doesn't. Most people who lift weights end up changing their routine every 8-12 weeks, or when it no longer produces the results they want.

Weightlifting is an anaerobic exercise, so you will not see the same cardiovascular development that you would from an aerobic exercise like running, jogging, biking, etc.

Since you can only work out twice a week, I would recommend you stay away from machines. Full body, compound, exercises will be far more advantageous for your goals and will produce a more fully composed physique.

I'll post a more comprehensive workout guide that may work for you a bit later tonight. Off the top of my head for the first day the following exercises come to mind:

Flat bench, straight bar curls, tricep push downs (don't neglect the other side of the arms), standing military press, barbell rows, wide-grip chin-ups

For the other day:

Squats, front squats, lunges, deadlifts, weighted extensions, decline sit-ups, leg lifts, cable crunches

Diet is extremely important. Your diet may not be bad now, but if you want to gain weight you have to eat. Not eating red meats is fine, chicken is a superior source of protein in my opinion since it has lower fat content. Shoot to consume a chicken breast a day, eat eggs in the morning (1-3, with yolk), drink 1-2 glasses of 2% milk (if your ethics allow), incorporate more wheat products like whole grain bread and pasta. Natural peanut butter is good as well. You want to increase your protein intake to at least one gram per pound of bodyweight. Cottage cheese makes an excellent pre-night snack as well. The slow-digesting casein protein is great for your metabolic rate at night.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Wait a minute...REALLY?!?!

How is it that I haven't come in here yet and made an incredibly skeezy comment?

I am ashamed :-/
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited January 2008
    haha.

Update btw: Started a new routine this week, good to do some new exercises. I forgot to take a picture the first of this month, will get one next month.
    edited March 2008
    It has been awhile since I posted any updated pictures. I'm still hitting the Gym hard, and still bulking up. I weighed in tonight at 144.5 lbs. I'm stoked, almost to 160, but got a lot to go. Anywho, here are the pictures.

03-26-08-144lbfront.jpg

03-26-08-144lbfront2.jpg

03-26-08-144lbback.jpg

And a extra of me and my nephew Andrew.

IMG_2077.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Update time:

I'm still hitting the Gym, I cant believe it's almost been a year since I joined. Here are some new pictures I took last night, and some comparison from the first month of working out.

Before:
    08-02-07-119l3-1.jpg
    After:
    IMG_2631.jpg

Before:
    08-02-07-119lb2.jpg
    After:
    IMG_2632.jpg

Before:
    09-04-07-127lb2.jpg
    After:
    IMG_2633.jpg
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Impressive results! Kudos for keeping at it.

Also, you look a lot happier. :thumbsup:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Bloody hell mate. That's some serious improvement. Good work and keep it up.

GH.. of course he looks happy, he is getting a lot of cardio work in the horizontal position ;)
    edited September 2008
    lmao, I needed that laugh today Shorty.