Pc vs Mac

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited August 2007 in Hardware
Ok My unapreciative brother in law wants a mac. there is two parts to this thread so bare with me

Story,
My bro in law loved my pc so When i upgraded I gave him this , 3800 + X2 a gig of ram 320 gig hd 80 gig hd 6600gt pcie 17 in lcd and some other pc components,

It needs a new psu Cause it crashes during power intensive games and he has a 400 wat POS ultra power supply. So its 3 months old and he needs a new psu and maybe will have to spend 70 bucks on a decent psu.

So instead of buy a psu he wants to sell the Pc i gave him and get a mac because " THEY ARE BETTER AND DONT CRASH AND STUFF "

Fitst off he doesnt have a need for a mac, All he does is surf the net and Play games. He doesnt do music and has no ability to do anything else with a mac. I tell him he doesnt need it cause he wont use a mac for what its used for.

So this is my beef, Please explain in detail like I have why he doesnt need a mac especially since he has no Job and has no way of attaining enuf money

Then am I wrong for being upset and pissed because I feel he is being a un apriciative, insensitive, prick?

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2007
    he wants a mac so he can play with photo booth, and it will look a lot better than it really is(if he gets a low end one). I can't think of any other specific reasons, because for basic use there really isn't much of a difference, other than the high price.

He doesnt need a mac because they cost too much for basic use. If all your doing is surfing the web and checking email/other B.S., get a pc. You can build one for like 10x cheaper and chances are it will be faster. Macs are very reliable machines and are nice, but preformance wise they arent as good if you were to spend the same amount on a pc/mac.

and yea, he does seem like a d. bag for selling the computer YOU GAVE HIM! I'd take it back if i were you, thats just gay.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    If he truly does just that, tell him to buy a refurbed MacMini. It sounds like what he has is overkill for a system anyways. Also, if he believes all that Mac hype, he's probably someone who'd benefit from its simplicity and minimal viruses.

If you gave him something, then it's his to do with as he feels. So I'd say that you should get over it and let him do as he pleases.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    He's right, in a way. As a very casual user, he will probably have a better experience with Mac OS than with Windows Vista. He won't have to worry about spyware, trojans, and worms. Sorry gnome, but I think a mac is perfect for a guy like him.

Now the other issue - him selling a gift you gave him - that's low. He should just give it back to you.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    well he is a heavy gamer thats my issue
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    You can game on a Mac. Just gotta spend the money to get one with a video card. Then you spend more money to get XP. They you run Bootcamp. ;)

Sounds like he needs to get a job if he wants such expensive toys.
    edited August 2007
    he is in 11th grade and lemme tell you something the only reason he wants one is the fact his friend who is HUGE into music has one. I mean he records his own music and all. But my Bro in Law all he does is Game
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2007
    if he games get a pc
    edited August 2007
    He has a free good one ! thats the point! lol
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    If he wants a Mac, he wants a Mac, it doesn't matter why... My mother bought an iMac because she could get it in purple... Just because her reason in stoopid doesn't make it worse of a reason.

I'm with Prime on the other issue. I mean, if he's gonna sell something you gave him for free, the least he could do is refrain from telling you about it.
    edited August 2007
    Its not the fact he wants a mac, heck i want a mac to screw around with its the fact he is being ungrateful and wants to pawn off a present to get his fix
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I'm looking to get the new iMac myself, I game and the games I wanna play are or will soon be on the Mac, the main reason I am buying it is simplicity and good looks. Damn the new iMac is hot.... sexy... I wanna make hot mac love to it.

Ohh and for the fact you GAVE him a PC and wants to sell it off.... F THAT!!! Tell him that is totally uncool and unreasonable,take it back and tell him to buy the Mac himself.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Well then he's just a jerk. You need to give him a lesson in ethics.
    edited August 2007
    he wants a laptop BTW
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Sorry, if I get a bit off topic, but what is it about mac people? As soon as someone get's a mac they act like they are so much better than anyone else? I know some people, who have had PC's and used to be nice people and then went over to mac. I don't even talk to them anymore because they turned pricks the day they got the mac.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Macs don't make people pricks. People are just pricks. I use macs, and pc's. Love them both but prefer osX.

But yeh, that dude is def being an ass for doing that to ya. If it was me the next time I was around him I'd go up to him and go:

You: *Sniff*, *Sniff*....*Sniff*
    You: I smell something *Sniff*
    Him: What
    You: *Sniff* I Smell... *Sniff*...I smell a bitch!

And hover right over him right at the end when your sniffing.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Macs don't make people pricks. People are just pricks. I use macs, and pc's. Love them both but prefer osX.

But yeh, that dude is def being an ass for doing that to ya. If it was me the next time I was around him I'd go up to him and go:

You: *Sniff*, *Sniff*....*Sniff*
    You: I smell something *Sniff*
    Him: What
    You: *Sniff* I Smell... *Sniff*...I smell a bitch!

And hover right over him right at the end when your sniffing.

....:wtf:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    i got a mac and im not a prick....

...wait...nevermind ;D
    edited August 2007
    I don't like ungrateful people. They get on my nerves to the fullest extent.

Complaining about something someone gave you and then selling it is pretty damn low imo.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2007
    He's right, in a way. As a very casual user, he will probably have a better experience with Mac OS than with Windows Vista. He won't have to worry about spyware, trojans, and worms. Sorry gnome, but I think a mac is perfect for a guy like him.

Now the other issue - him selling a gift you gave him - that's low. He should just give it back to you.

Fully 100% agreed.

Also apple is trying to get into gaming with EA and ID software ... but unless they land valve nothings going to happen.

Its not the fact he wants a mac, heck i want a mac to screw around with its the fact he is being ungrateful and wants to pawn off a present to get his fix

Your friends a douce.

Stop being his friend... and kick his ass.
    Jokke wrote:
    Sorry, if I get a bit off topic, but what is it about mac people? As soon as someone get's a mac they act like they are so much better than anyone else? I know some people, who have had PC's and used to be nice people and then went over to mac. I don't even talk to them anymore because they turned pricks the day they got the mac.

So do BWM owners. Some people just take it too far.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Sounds like you gave him a great gift, and he is being a selfish (unknowledgeable) prissy pants!
    Macs are great if you need the high quality and spend oodles of cash for the best they have - other wise PC all the way.

BTW - that is one hell of a machine to receive as a gift and be complaining about! Will he retain/listen to maintenance advice to keep Windows from crashing? If he is willing to learn some basics this might be an option.
    edited August 2007
    Just looked at the specs hes an *******.

I suggest a hostile reacquisition your hardware asap.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2007
    Kick in his door seven deep and educate him on the means of reclamation of hardware. Sadly this is something I have had to do several times, so I can walk you through it if you want.
    edited August 2007
    Oh btw im also assuming he never signed anything transferring ownership of the hardware from you to him and that you bought it all. (ie you still legaly own it all)
    edited August 2007
    problem is Family, Eh
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I hope his car (when he has one some day) never has an alternator/generator fail. He'd have to go buy a new car!
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2007
    Jokke wrote:

It's because once you get a mac you become a better person. You get a secret discount at starbucks, you learn the secret handshake it's a wonderful world. You should step over and join us.
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    I hope his car (when he has one some day) never has an alternator/generator fail. He'd have to go buy a new car!

a hybrid no doubt
  • edited August 2007
    Let him crap the extra money for the Mac, and let him sell the computer you gave him, just inform him that you charge $100/hour for fixing any problems the little douchebag makes on his new Mac or any other frigging computer the little asswipe ever owns. Or bring it to Geek Squad and get assreamed by them.

If he wants to game on a Mac lappy he will need at least $2000+ to buy into their elitist world of computer snobs.
    edited August 2007
    mudd I love you!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Mac's blow for gaming.... unless you play WoW! than you need a Mac cause your a noob anyway...