How do you dual boot ubuntu and windows?

edited August 2007 in Hardware
i did this two times. On the first computer it worked, but on the second computer it deleted windows XP. Can someone please tell me how to dual boot ubuntu?

Comments

• bs-of-the-eastbs-of-the-east Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    edited August 2007
    I'd be interested to know how to dual boot when you have two separate hard drives.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited August 2007
    if you install XP first, then start pretty much any linux distro install, it recignizes the install and appends it into GRUB. some distros can resize the windows partition if it is taking up 100% if the disk, SuSE can do it, i dont knwo about Ubuntu, Ive never used it.

Windows will NOT append linux distros into the boot.ini by default, so you want to have windows installed first and have linux see it. ( at elast thats how it used to be )
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Install Windows Xp first - choose a partition that leaves at least another partition of 5Gb and then install Ubuntu on this second partition. Presto!
    When the boot screen appears you will be given the option of choosing between Ubuntu/XP
  • edited August 2007
    There is plenty of documentation available if you look for it. For one there is the Ubuntu wiki and its Windows Dual Boot How To. There is the Grub manual if you are comfortable with documentation like that. Also, do a search or ask on www.ubuntuforums.org. That is a very active and helpful forum for everything related to Ubuntu.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2007
  • edited August 2007
    fatcat you said it short and sweet, thank you very much!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    fatcat you said it short and sweet, thank you very much!

welcome sur!
  • skywalker45skywalker45 Bloomington, IN. USA
    edited August 2007
    I'd be interested to know how to dual boot when you have two separate hard drives.

Very easy my friend since that's how I run. I've got 3 hard drives actually but only one with Windows and One with Ubuntu and the other one is shared between the two. Install Windows first, of course and format the empty second drive with the FAT32 file system. After that download the Ubuntu CD image and burn it and then boot from that CD. Ubuntu will recognize the drive used by Windows so you'll know which drive to choose. After it installs it will install grub. It's really simple. A little more involved than this but I would imagine just about anyone could do it.
  • edited August 2007
    ok bad news, i did the wubi and then ubuntu looked all set. i updated ubuntu, and then had to restart, and now it keeps going back to the dell boot up, and for a glimpse it says ntdirect fail