ntdirect fail, HELP, computer wont boot

edited August 2007 in Hardware
ok so i used wubi to instlal ubuntu and it worked. i started to update ubuntu and had to restart. i restart and no the computer wont work. it goes back to the dell boot screen. for a split second it says ntdetect fail. please help. i have an XP installation disk. (have tried pressing R for repair, but then i choose the drive and it asked for admin password, i dont have one so im stuck, i just press enter and the DOS thing just is there...

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Go to the next screen where it scans for existing windows installations. The first time it asks you to hit "R" is not what you want to repair windows.
  • edited August 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Go to the next screen where it scans for existing windows installations. The first time it asks you to hit "R" is not what you want to repair windows.

so i click install when it loads and not R?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Go to the screen where it detects previous Windows installations. The process will halt on that screen, where you will have three selections. One of those selections will be to perform a Repair Installation, which simply repairs the installation that's already there, leaving most of it intact. I believe the keystroke command for the repair installation is 'R'. It should be easy to figure once you get to aforementioned screen.

Don't hesitate to post again if you are still confused. Be optimistic - the Repair Installation function can work wonders!
  • edited August 2007
    after seeral attempts at the reovry console and doing fixboot to both drives, several times, i finally got it to work thank you all for the help
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    For good measure, especially since it appears at least some of the system files were corrupted, you should run Check Disk on your OS partition. Check Disk is a very effective tool that would spare many people a lot of problems if they would run it every few months.