Wierd lines at the top of TV image

MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
edited August 2007 in Hardware
The TV in our living room has an odd problem. There are lines that come down about 3" from the top of the screen. You can still see the image behind these lines, but what goes beyond the physical border of the tv seems to roll back down into the screen in these lines. It's a really annoying problem. Everything else with the TV seems just fine. This happens on every channel across every input.

My dad swears this started after we got the Wii (he thinks the "Sensor Bar" started the problem) and even though it's not used and the bar was removed, the problem remains. I've attached a couple pictures but it doesn't really help much since I can't attach a small video... :-/

BTW this is a standard 4:3 27" CRT

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    It's not the sensor bar... All the sensor bar does is emit IR, which cannot possibly cause this problem.

The tube is simply getting old. After awhile, the electron gun can become less accurate. Time to get an LCD.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited August 2007
    I know what the sensor bar does, I was just saying my dad thought that was what caused it...even though it has such a simple purpose. I even tried explaining it to him but he won't listen...

Anyway the TV is only a couple years old, but it was a cheap one. Oh well, maybe the next one will be better.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    The problem happened to my parents TV a few years ago... It was a easy fix that cost them about $180 I forget what they called it but I left them a message to find out :) I'll post what it was if my dad can remember...

Also I agree with CB, there is no way the Wii sensor bar did that.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited August 2007
    Looks more like a failing emitter/deflector or some kind of magnetic affect, portable degausser used to wipe magnetic tapes had a similar effect on my bosses CRT.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    If they got that fixed for only $180 then they have friend who repairs TVs or something. That's super-cheap for TV repair.

Still more than the TV would cost new at Wal-mart, however.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited August 2007
    Check the connection and see if it pops up on all of your channels, then consult tv repair men...
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited August 2007
    checkmate wrote:
    Check the connection and see if it pops up on all of your channels, then consult tv repair men...

We've been through all that. It's there on every channel and across every input. It's prolly not even worth the cost to repair. It was cheap to begin with, it'd prolly be more than it's worth.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    If they got that fixed for only $180 then they have friend who repairs TVs or somethIing. That's super-cheap for TV repair.
    Oooh, that's more than both of my household's TVs combined are worth! We'll get a flat screen/LCD/Plasma wonder-change-the-world TV when our 8 year-old, 2-ton (huge) CRT eventually fails. It's JVC, so it might just live a few more years. Maybe the HD standard, flat screen (LCD/Plasma/next tech) will be standardized and HD DSL signal common for all channels by the time we need a new TV. That would be nice. BTW, here on a mountainside in Alaksa - long frigid winters, bears, midnight sun, well, septic tank, loaded rifle, and all that other pioneer-type stuff, we have IPTV through the phone line.

Now, what did all that have to do GR81' s problem? This gives your dad the excuse to buy a very nice flat screen TV that's digital ready!
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Are there still tv repairmen??? I thought they were salesmen in disguise... Most tv's these days are throw away items. Tv's = printers. Cost more to repair than replace.