How do I...

TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
edited August 2007 in Science & Tech
I recently moved into a new house and it is not going to be possible to run a cable from where the router and modem is to where my room is (its a story up). so is there a device that exists which will allow me to convert a wireless device back to a wired network. Basically a hub for wired devices which then connects to a wireless network broadcast from a few rooms away, with ideally a gigabit connection between the wired devices.

does this device exist, or do I need to buy a PCI wireless card for a desktop and use it as a proxy

(by the way, I haven't been here in awhile, its good to see this site is still kicking)

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I set up my network as follows:

One room: Modem--->1st Wireless Router with WDS

Second Room: 2nd Wireless Router with WDS--->8 port Gigabit switch--->all the computers under my desk.

All computers that connect to the network via wireless or wired are within the same IP range. The router connected to the modem acts as sole DHCP server and second router acts as a repeater/hub.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2007
    WDS, good info. Sounds like I need to find out what version of the Apple Airport they're using, because if he (for some dumb reason) bought the N router I'll be out of luck

Thanks for the quick response
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    by the way, I haven't been here in awhile, its good to see this site is still kicking
    Uh huh. Run away again and we won't be so lenient when you return. There are penalties, you know.

j/k Welcome back!
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited August 2007
    The tech support guys suck... They're all Indian and you can't understand them. (No offense to any parties present) 4 hours and 5 phone calls to set up my wireless network correctly when the entire thing was just 5 clicks. My Point: Don't use them!
    edited August 2007
    I have been using a D-Link DWL-2100AP, and at first I was concerned because the manual implies that if I want to use the WDS functionality to get it working as an AP client I would neet a network built solely of 2100APs. Fortunately, it works seamlessly with an Airport Extreme. thanks guys
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited August 2007
    TheBaron wrote:
    Basically a hub for wired devices which then connects to a wireless network broadcast from a few rooms away, with ideally a gigabit connection between the wired devices.

I do it often with ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). My desktop computer is across the house, and often I sit there when I do rebuilds. So I just use ICS to pump the Internet connection back out of my desktop's Ethernet card. I use it at some sites too where it just makes sense to pick up wireless on my lappy and then plug another computer into that.

However, there is no point in talking about a gigabit connection with that scenario. Once the signal goes wireless, the speed is about 54 Megs on a good day. That means your 1,000 Meg conneciton on the other end will get you......54 Megs.
    edited August 2007
    gigabit between the wired devices would be for file sharing between wired systems in the same room, not wireless

I got this working at 100T, which is good enough for me