Internal Hard Drive Error

edited August 2007 in Hardware
Hi there,

Recently when I turned my computer on instead of starting up windows, the screen reads:

"NSC DP83815/DP83816 MacPhyther - Fast Ethernet UNDI, v1.00
Copyright (C) 2002 National Semiconductor Corporation
All rights reserved.

Pre-boot eXecution Environment PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Cororation

PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF : Existing MacPhyter PXE ROM.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

It happens every time I turn it on. I tried to reinstall windows XP, but the screen says that there is no hard drive connected and stops. I reset all of the BIOS settings to make sure I hadn't messed anything up accidently, but it still doesnt work.

Im at a bit of a loss because Im trying to do an A level in computer programming, and most of my work is on it, and the program I use is the only computer we have it is installed on. There is also a lot of music and pictures and stuff on there. Can anyone help me?

Its a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D 7830 laptop working on windows xp. If you can help I would love to hear from you!

Thanks.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    It would appear your computer is not detecting the hard drive at all.

Turn off the computer, unplug it from wall power, open the case, then check the power and signal cable to the subject hard drive. Better yet, pull the cables, one connector at a time, out of the hard drive and motherboard; reinsert each cable into each connector. Sometimes cables will wiggle loose from their connections due to vibrations over time. EDIT: uh, yeah, right...I just noticed that it's a laptop. Skip the step I just proposed.

Are there any other laptops of the same brand and model around? You could try the hard drive in another computer to determine if the problem is the drive or your laptop.

If no other computer in which to try the drive, your next step would be to mount the hard drive in an external USB hard drive enclosure and then connect that drive-enclosure to a known working computer. You might then be able to see the data and copy it to another hard drive.

If your drive won't even detect by your computer, it's either a bad drive or defective motherboard socket where the hard drive connects.

If the drive can't be resurrected or be read from within an external enclosure, I think chances are good that data recover software would work to extract your data.

I won't chastise you for having no backup...but...if data is worth keeping, it's worth backing up. It's that simple. I realize that may not help you this time, but for the future it's a solid principle.
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited August 2007
    OK you need to gett into the BIOS - let us know if you can do that or we need to give more specific instructions!

Once in there - usually the first page will show if the Hard drive is recognsed by the BIOS - is it?

then there is usually a page that will show the boot seqence - Check that the hard drive is shown as first boot

Let us know the results ofthis first and then we will see where to go from that!