edited August 2007 in Hardware
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD AthlonX2 5200+
OCZ 512MB PC2-6400 (x4)
Gef 8800 OC 320MB
Enermax Noisetaker 2 600w
Raptor 70GB

Heres the story:

I just fixed up my computer after a 2 month break from it. It booted and almost all the applications had an error and had the applications had to be shut down. I defragmented my computer and all my applications still had to be shut down. I figured it was a problem with my hard drive so i reformatted it and ive have loaded windows xp professional but... once it go past the windows xp loading part in beginning of the boot up, it restarts on itself and it gets to the same part and restarts on itself and just keeps doing it over and over.

Anyone know why this is happening and how can i fix it?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Had you made any BIOS changes? It sounds to me like voltage starvation - not enough to fully engage the memory and CPU simultaneously...or something like that. Go into the BIOS and check the voltage readings, most importantly the +12V, memory voltage, and +3.3. Do you know where they should be? If they all look good bump them all a little and see if it will boot.

But this really sounds like a failure of critical components to receive sufficient power. Yes, it could also be the PSU or hard drive. Let's check the power readouts in the BIOS first.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Hi there,

Remove one of the kit of ram and see if that helps. If the ram needs more voltage than default, you may have to set it manually in bios.
  • edited August 2007
    i removed a kit of ram
    it still does not work

do you know how i can change it in the bios?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    THere should be a page in the bios where you can set the voltages. You may have to change it from auto to manual to be able to see it in the first place.
  • edited August 2007
    i did like you told me to, i changed the voltage of the memory

now it wont even get past the POST

i cant see anything on my monitor and i cant get into the bios
    edited August 2007
    Did you boost the voltage? It would appear you lowered the voltage. Also, did you exit the BIOS using F10 to save the changes? In the BIOS there are also voltage settings for the CPU core FSB/HTT (sorry, don't know exactly what they're called in an AMD board). You could also bump those up just a little bit.
  • edited August 2007
    Ok so, my computer kept looping its boot-up so i took the advice of some people and turned the voltage of the memory to the highest.

Now it wont get past the AI part of my asus m2n32-sli deluxe and i cant get into the bios. If i could get into the bios, then i can undo it.
  • edited August 2007
    I boosted my voltage to MAX from 1.3v to about 2.5 volts.
    Now i cant even get past 5 seconds past POST.
    I boot my computer, then about 10 seconds later, it reboots itself
    and this chain goes on and on and on and on and on
    sometimes the AI sign is messed up (the beginning of the boot)
    and sometimes i dont get a display at all
    do i need to buy new memory? because mine is pretty shaky
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Reset the BIOS. Your manual will tell you how.
  • edited August 2007
    But it reboots itself as soon as it is past post
    edited August 2007
    That's irrelevant. Every motherboard can have its BIOS reset by some physical means. You can remove the battery, and/or set the CMOS jumper to the clear position and wait five minutes. Your manual will tell you exactly where these components are located and how to do it. It's really easy once you see how, but all boards are different so I can't give you specific instructions. :)

Also, I have merged your threads together. Please try to keep all your issues with your PC inside one thread; it helps us help you faster/more efficiently.
  • edited August 2007
    do you know how i can reset cmos?
    edited August 2007
    do you know how i can reset cmos?
    Did you even look in your motherboard manual? Do you have a motherboard manual. Did you read the previous thread:
    You can remove the battery, and/or set the CMOS jumper to the clear position and wait five minutes. Your manual will tell you exactly where these components are located and how to do it. It's really easy once you see how, but all boards are different so I can't give you specific instructions. :)
    There should be instructions and a diagram in the manual that explains and shows you how to reset the CMOS "jumper." By resetting the CMOS jumper, you will reset the BIOS. You can also reset the BIOS by pulling out the motherboard batter for a couple minutes. The motherboard manual will also show where that battery is located. (Maybe these posts got put out of order when the two threads were combined. If that is the cause of confusion and the overlooked post from Thrax, then I apologize to you, willman32.)
    edited August 2007
    The posts were put into the proper order.
    edited August 2007
    Here is a link for the Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard. Please download it and become familiar with it.
  • edited August 2007
    Ahhh im sorry im being such a leech, i just want to get my computer fixed.

Do you think getting new ram will help the problem?

Oh and the manual for the ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe has almost no information in it at all.
    edited August 2007
    Please refer to page 2-19 of your motherboard's manual to reset your BIOS.
    edited August 2007
    Ahhh im sorry im being such a leech, i just want to get my computer fixed.
    You are missing the point! By seeing the pictures, reading the text, and hands on, you'll understand and remember MUCH better than just asking questions at the forum and note even understanding half of what is posted. Please, do ask questions, but in concert with reading the manual. Thrax and I started at a low level of knowledge too. (Of course, Thrax progressed a lot farther than I did. :) )
  • edited August 2007
    O.K.
    Today i have cleared CMOS.
    Instead of LOOPING itself, it just freezes when it tells me the motherboard's version number and i cannot go into the BIOS.

I will run out to the store to buy new memory. Is this recommended?
  • edited August 2007
    I just want to ask if new memory will change anything before I buy it.

UPDATE:
    I can now go into BIOS. I have tried reformatting my computer but during the installation of windows, it restarts itself (right after the part where you enter your product key).

I just want to know if new memory will change anything.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Remove one of the kit of ram and see if that helps.
    Have you tried what was suggested?

If you have 2 sticks of ram then take the one out and see if the PC will post.
    Then swap them around and try the other one. The logic behind this is chances are both sticks of ram won't be faulty at once (athough that can happen) If the PC still won't post then it's probably not the ram. If you have another compatible PC to test them on just to make sure, that would be even better.
  • edited August 2007
    I have did what you have said.
    I have tested all of them 1 by 1 then I have put them 2 by 2 by 2 by 2