Need Advice Please - Vid Card for New System

buononutbuononut Michigan
edited September 2007 in Hardware
Interesting read, guys.
Here's a question regarding VGA selection for my upcoming build:

The SLi technology is quite cool, but does it make sense to buy two 8600GT cards and SLi them together, or should I go for one 8800GTS for about another $45 total?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229

vs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082

Help me out here: if I do a SLi setup, the MoBo needs 2 PCI-Express x16 slots, right?
When you hook up the 2 cards, which to you conect the monitor to?

thanks!

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Shockingly enough the 8800GTS 320MB will be faster than the 2 8600GT's...:) so save your money in that aspect aslo the performance difference from the 640MB and 320MB 8800GTS isn't that big, so don't feel like your getting a lesser card, they are both great cards and will run all current games at top settings. If your running Vista SLI support is shaky so don't expect to much, if you’re running XP than you have nothing to worry about.

A SLI mobo has to be 2 PCI-Express slots but both do not have to be 16x. Most SLI boards run 16X on the main slot and 8X on the 2nd slot, most expensive boards will offer 16x in both lanes, and with new mobo's rolling out those numbers will increase.

It is funny you ask what port to hook the monitor up to.. Being a guy who has run SLI for almost all series of cards since it has been possible, I have found certain cards will run on different ports. Usually 9 times out of 10 it is the top card left side connection, but sometimes I have gotten the bottom left or top right. So based on that I don't honestly know, I would say try upper left first and than work your way down :)
  • buononutbuononut Michigan
    edited August 2007
    Thanks Sledge... didn't notice my post got moved!

Funny stuff, about that SLI connection answer. I thought I was just ignorant without the owner's manual.

Ok... I will save up for the 8800GTS. By going that route, however, is it necessary that I buy a SLI compatible board and an SLI certified PSU? I'd like to shave off some dollars (only about $40) if I'm spending big money on the VGA. I'm just now upgrading from an AGP8x 6800XT card so I don't anticipate needing to SLI two 8800GTS cards (will I?). I just want to play Battle for Middle-Earth (1), SW: Empire at War, or even SW: X-Wing Alliance on decent settings!

Answer will alter my MoBo/PSU selection so I'll submit my persepctive "build" sheet afterwards (hopefully, in the proper forum).
    edited August 2007
    1 8800GTS will run all those games on max settings.... also as for SLI PSU it doesn't have to be SLI certified.. just get a nice rated PSU that can push min 650+ watts with 2 PCI -E connections...

Post what PSU and mobo your looking at and we can tell you if it will work nicely. :)
    edited August 2007
    GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W SLI Ready ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply

both from NewEgg.
    edited August 2007
    If planning on going SLI I would get something with more power. When those cards are running full throttle they will want to suck up a ton of power. I think 550Watts is good, but 650Watts would be better.

That motherboard is not SLI ready. If you plan on running 2 GPU's you need a board with 2 PCI Express slots
    edited August 2007
    Noted. Once I have enough money for a 2nd 8800GTS ($280) then I'll easily have enough for a new PSU. Even though it is only $40 more to do it now, I don't think I'll need a 2nd card anytime soon, even if I do end up buying and playing newER games that will strech a single 8800GTS.
    Not trying to be difficult, just frugal (where I can).

What might be a step DOWN from the 8800GTS? Sledgehammer previously explained this to me and I think the answer is the 8600GT. But $280 vs. $115... isn't there something decent in between?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Shockingly enough the 8800GTS 320MB will be faster than the 2 8600GT's...
    ...and in 12 to 18 months, the MumboJumbo Super 9999GXZ will be faster than two 8800GTS...

It's frustrating, isn't it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Nah, because if you buy the very best, it'll last 2-3 years even if the "Next big thing" is faster. Why? Because software dev cycles are slow.
    edited August 2007
    buononut wrote:
    What might be a step DOWN from the 8800GTS? Sledgehammer previously explained this to me and I think the answer is the 8600GT. But $280 vs. $115... isn't there something decent in between?

An 8800GTS 320MB on sale :)

the biggest problem is the performance gap between a 8800GTS vs a 8600GT is beyond huge! so take that in mind also :)
    edited August 2007
    because if you buy the very best, it'll last 2-3 years even if the "Next big thing" is faster.
    Good point. Sort of like a mid-range CPU overclocked outrageously. :D

As for video, this card will always be teh shiznet:
  • dnorf87dnorf87 Northern Virginia
    edited August 2007
    buononut wrote:
    Noted. Once I have enough money for a 2nd 8800GTS ($280) then I'll easily have enough for a new PSU. Even though it is only $40 more to do it now, I don't think I'll need a 2nd card anytime soon, even if I do end up buying and playing newER games that will strech a single 8800GTS.
    Not trying to be difficult, just frugal (where I can).

Well...you sure would think so. With the 8600GT having 32 stream processors, and the 8800GTS having 96, where are the 64 SP cards?
    edited August 2007
    On their way. NVIDIA's mid-range is getting a revamp shortly.
    edited August 2007
    It seems I've over-looked the 8600GTS. Would this be an ok go-between, as far as performance goes? Price is about half of a 8800GTS, and since the budget is under $1k for the whole shooting match, this gives me a little breathing room.
    PC Perspective is a decent help for my mid-range build, but it doesn't include case, O/S, DVDR, mouse, cooling fan(s), etc.

OR, should I wait, as Thrax suggets? If so, how long are we talking?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Go for the 8800GTS 320MB card. It will run everything that you need, and it is a much better card than the 8600GTS 512MB.
    edited August 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    On their way. NVIDIA's mid-range is getting a revamp shortly.

The rumor says September?

Anything that happens within the next few months should be nothing but a die shrink if anything. It would be nice if they offered a card with 64 stream processors.

Die shrink + a few new models? Kind of like how we had the 7800GT -> 7900GT + 7900GS? I don't know :\
    edited August 2007
    Die shrinks, in my opinion, will be a definite improvement. Perhaps the FPS performance won't be much, but the cards will be cooler and much easier on the power bill. If CPUs were still such heat monsters and power hogs like the top video cards, neither AMD nor Intel would have much respect.
    edited August 2007
    NVIDIA is not just doing a die shrink. Their 8600GT is going to have more stream processors and provide quite a bit more power than it does currently, but sept/oct. is the date.
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Die shrinks, in my opinion, will be a definite improvement. Perhaps the FPS performance won't be much, but the cards will be cooler and much easier on the power bill. If CPUs were still such heat monsters and power hogs like the top video cards, neither AMD nor Intel would have much respect.

Definitely. Plus, die shrink = higher clocks :p

I'm still waiting for AMD, the green company, to do something about the power consumption of the high end ATI cards. It's pretty ridiculous.
    edited September 2007
    well, I've got it down to a price I can handle, but now I'm stuck between the AMD / Intel rock & hard place. Also, how do I know that the RAM I'm getting is going to work, in regards to that 5-5-5-12 or 4-4-4-12 number?
    Lastly, am I required to buy a new/blank HDD and a new copy of an O/S when building a new PC? I can't use my current HDD?

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=4073389&WishListTitle=amd+2

- or -

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=4073269&WishListTitle=intel+2
  • edited September 2007
    If you want, you can use your old HDD, nothing is stopping you really. As for O/S, if you have your own copy (not attached to the pc via a manu) you can reinstall if you wish, or I hear rumors that you can get them off the internet somewhere, but w/e. Don't get caught up in doing stuff like SLIing the 88XX cards because
    1) They run everything that is out on max right now with just one.
    2) Their power consumption is massive, so you should keep that in mind (I had a friend who built a new pc and his power bill went up like $5 a month, which is crazy).
    edited September 2007
    Once again I strongly urge you to drop the 8600 you will be glad you did. save up a few more bucks and get the 8800GTS 320MB version or even the 640MB version.

But in all aspects the Intel system you picked will run faster but both systems will run just as well as the other.
    edited September 2007
    On NewEgg.com, does the spec "FSB 1333/1066MHz " mean the mobo is compatible with CPU's that have a 1066MHz FSB OR a 1333MHz FSB?

The E6550 and E6400 (a 1333MHz and a 1066MHz chip, respectively) cost the same, so it seems to me I should simply choose the E6550, right?
    edited September 2007
    yup...