Help Windows Appearing - No Matter what App being used

edited August 2007 in Hardware
HELP!

I am a novice user, so please bear with me. I am running Windows XP Home edition with Service Pack 2 and all of a sudden help windows keep popping up. It does not matter what application i am in. Its so frustrating. Can you help?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    What do these windows look like? Are they advertisement? Error messages?
  • edited August 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    What do these windows look like? Are they advertisement? Error messages?

Hello, No, they are the help windows for each application. Here's some examples. If I am using Mozilla as my internet explorer the Mozilla help window opens. If i am using Microsoft power point, the power point help window keeps appearing etc, etc. When you close the window, a few seconds later it opens again!!
    edited August 2007
    Oh, sorry. I read your thread ttle with the wrong inflection. I understand now.

Okay, first thing: This may sound silly, but look around your keyboard, and see if there is any way that you might be accidentally hitting the F1 key on the keyboard. It seems unlikely, but I would hate for us to go through a bunch of troubleshooting just to find that the answer was this easy.

If that's not it, we'll try some other stuff.
  • edited August 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    Oh, sorry. I read your thread ttle with the wrong inflection. I understand now.

Okay, first thing: This may sound silly, but look around your keyboard, and see if there is any way that you might be accidentally hitting the F1 key on the keyboard. It seems unlikely, but I would hate for us to go through a bunch of troubleshooting just to find that the answer was this easy.

If that's not it, we'll try some other stuff.

Hello, I have switched off the computer and hoovered the keyboard & re-booted. It is still doing it.....In fact, i just opened windows explorere and 52 help windows opened....HELP!
    edited August 2007
    Okay, next step: find another keyboard that is known to be working. Turn off the system, plug in the new keyboard, and see what it does. If that doesn't fix it, at least we've ruled out that the keyboard could be the problem, and we can move on to something else.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    rmanders, if it is not the keyboard.... - do you have any Anti-Spyware(Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG Anti-Spyware, Asquared(Anti-Malware) etc..) or a Anti-Virus(AVG Free, Avast Home edition(free) etc...). If not you can find them by Googling them.
    Also if you have ccleaner(removes junk files and fixes issues/software conflicts) you might want to try the issues scanner.
    I have had a similar poblem on a W98 machine that was caused by spyware.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    If a new keyboard does solve the problem, this thread goes to the Spyware & Virus Removal thread.