Anyone seen this?

Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
edited August 2007 in Folding@Home
http://foldingfarmer.com/

You pay, they fold for you.... crazy or cool idea? :eek:

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Interesting... Not worth it! but very interesting.

Gave me an idea.. for a system for the ICx rigs that our Folding team uses :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Interesting... Not worth it! but very interesting.
    I don't get it. Maybe to help out the cause if you don't want to run computers yourself. To me, the concept is like hiring someone to contribute to offering plate at church for me. "Here guy, here's $85. Please put $75 for me in the plate on Sunday. I'll see you at church!" For me, Folding is a super charity, it's science, it's technology, and it is also hands on in that I can build and tweak machines myself. To pay someone else to do it? Huh? Not me!
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited August 2007
    I guess the idea would be to contribute to F@H but without any hassle of hardware, OS, and mostly, electricity (power consumption costs).
    Perhaps for us, that we do like to not only contribute, but also to get involved with this project, that its kind of a rip off... but, again, perhaps for somebody else, its also a way of contributing... so its still valid. :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    so its still valid.
    Absolutely! And the chap that runs this makes money - employment and business are good things. No, I've nothing against the concept, but for me personally, I disdain the remoteness. I enjoy so much being in the middle of it. It's all a matter of being passive or active.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2007
    Not for me. I can understand the concept of it to a point though. I feel better knowing I'm the one making certain my computers are up and folding.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    The main reason I fold and don't mind paying electricity and upgrade costs on the half dozen PC's I have at home is because I know my money is going DIRECTLY to the cause. I refuse to donate to a charity. After commission for the collector, admin costs and staff wages the intended recipients are lucky if they get 20% of the donation. That doesn't gel with me.

I have no objection to the idea, just don't like to enrich the middle man!
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited August 2007
    What if we transform this idea to the behalf of the Team?

If somebody doesnt have a problem to host more SMxs, by donating a couple of bucks each of us, we can build new machines to fold for Icrontic :)

Sledge, I believe you are into this already?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Sledge, I believe you are into this already?

I have a few ideas that I am discussing with the SMx/ICx Committee

TBH... For what he charges we could get an army of leased rigs from Dell to fold for team 93 :)