ICx Donation Idea :)

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited August 2007 in Folding@Home
http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=553494#post553494

This thread and idea gave me an idea for the ICx team.

What if we got people to pledge $5 a month for 6 months for the ICx team to help keep funds roiling in for new rigs.

I know we have a donation system, but we really don't push that very much. Maybe we can revamp that or something?

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I'm not sure how many people would be willing to donate $5 every month. It would take some sort of billing and tickler to remind members to pay...

However, I had an idea regarding the ICx Donation Tags... It was something like Handyman Club's membership. We set up two types of donations. One styles is lifetime and the other is time bombed. Each style has three levels to denote an amount.

Life time has bronze, silver, gold. Donate a total of $150 and you have the bronze level, donate up to $275, silver. Over $350 and you are a gold lifetime donor.

Time Bombed has red, green, blue. Donate $25 and you have the green donor tag for 3 months, Donate $50 and you have the blue tag for 6 months. Donate $75 and you get the red for a year.

This is also cumulative towards the lifetime donor award... donate $50 over 3 years and you automatically get upgraded to the Bronze Lifetime level.

The issue would be addressing donations of parts... how to attach a value.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    The value can be tagged at what we can sell it for or how much it is worth on the market at that time.

I say sell it for cause it could be an older part that would only be good for generating income to build the next rig.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Due to the average age of our membership, I think you'd end up with a lot of promises and VERY LITTLE follow-through. In my opinion, it would end up being a whole lot more pain than actual reward.
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Due to the average age of our membership, I think you'd end up with a lot of promises and VERY LITTLE follow-through. In my opinion, it would end up being a whole lot more pain than actual reward.
    But what do you think about my idea?
    edited August 2007
    Q, I just don't have any ideas or initiatives until we get all the junk recalled. Maybe I'm too conservative, but I don't want to redecorate the room while the dirty laundry and broken furniture is still lying on the floor.
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Q, I just don't have any ideas or initiatives until we get all the junk recalled. Maybe I'm too conservative, but I don't want to redecorate the room while the dirty laundry and broken furniture is still lying on the floor.
    I somewhat agree on getting one thing done before jumping to another subject however, we can still brainstorm ideas in the mean time.
    edited August 2007
    we can still brainstorm
    absolutely!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I like the donation tags - didn't we have something like that before?
    edited August 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I like the donation tags - didn't we have something like that before?
    Yep... we have them. They are time bombed to expire after "x" months depending on the cash donated. Keebler designed the system so I have no idea what the specifics. If we could get a few life time donors, we could release several upgrades!!! :D
    edited August 2007
    true...

I think we could write a letter and let the team know what our plans are and what is coming. We need to stir interest in the project again, which is the only way we will get donations for any cause. If people don't know they wont donate.

Leo while I agree with you in away I think we should move forward with any ideas we can. We have recalled the bad rigs and have had 2 responses of the 4 I know of. If we wait for everything to be done we will get nothing done.

I have a excel sheet with just about all the parts Keebs sent me form the stash Prodlp dropped of and will be getting them listed with the help of TT in the near future. I think I will start a new thread on this.

I sam tired of sitting her really doing nothing... Its time we step up and do the job we are suppose to do.
    edited August 2007
    Good idea... I'll come up with something regarding the SMx Rebuild and Upgrade Project.
    edited August 2007
    so we still keeping the SMx name for new rigs? or we just going to make new rigs ICx and leave the old names as is?
    edited August 2007
    Old rigs will stay the same as they were... Icrontic1 will remain Icrontic01. SM29_Betty_Harris will always be the same. When we get all the rigs re-released or upgraded, we can decide how we will proceed with naming. That is YEARS away unless we get a ton of $$$.
    edited August 2007
    spphh you under estimate the power of Team 93 :)
    edited August 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Good idea... I'll come up with something regarding the SMx Rebuild and Upgrade Project.
    we could probably get some steam behind this if we get it going... Make an announcment about the refresh and than even get word out about donating items or cash to help out :)