Overheating or No power?

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited August 2007 in Hardware
so i am trying to figure out why my bro's pc is crashing I swear its the fact he is running a 400 watt Ultra PSU but it could be over heating

its running at around 140* F so thats a little un nerving but we are in south Fl so ive had hotter

But this is the PC

3800+ AMD AM2 Dual core
2Gb ddr2 800 Geil ram
Zalman CNP 9500 Huge cooler
Lian Li case

I am going nuts with him bugging me

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I assume you are referring to the CPU core? That's 60*C. (Celsius is much easier for us to understand when it comes to computer diagnostics. Not only the standard for science, but it's also the standard for computer tech.)

60 is pretty high for a dual core AMD. It might be more instructive if we knew what the normal CPU temp for that computer is. If that computer isn't overclocked and isn't running high-powered graphics, a quality 400 watt PSU should be OK. I don't know anything about "Ultra."

Have your brother run some voltage monitoring. It would be good to see what the voltages are.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    60c is not just pretty high, it's a dangerous temperature. Most A64s are rated for 55C.

//EDIT: ULTRA is junk.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2007
    I would say you are definitely underpowered with that PSU. If you have a powered GPU fan, couple drives in there your seriously pushing it's limits.
    edited August 2007
    60c is not just pretty high, it's a dangerous temperature.
    Yeah, in retrospect, I must agree. I was thinking in terms of 100% load at 30% overclock. But even for a hot running Intel Presler core, that would still be too considered hot.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Well Last night he brought it over it runs at 130 *F at full load which is 54* C that was running 3dmark 06 pc mark 05 sisoft sandra and Age of empires III ( which crashed constintly )

NO CRASHES, At my apartment, But at his house it crashes all the time, My guess is dirty power then i found out he doesnt have a Batt backup! I was like NO WONDER his room is wired like crap So we are gong to get one tonight ( good thing they are moving tonight to thier new house )

So i think I figured it out But maybe i am wrong ( i still feel a new PSU would be needed tho )
    edited August 2007
    54*C full load is not the best, but should be OK. BTW, if you were only running once instance of Prime95, you weren't loading both cores. It's a strong possibility his CPU will get hotter than 54. You need to run Prime 95, tow instances, one each from different installation folders.

It's also possible that the location for his computer in his room has poor ventilation, such as under a desk in a corner, in an upstairs room. (that's about as bad as it gets unless that corner happens to have baseboard heating! I've got a couple computers in such a location. I had to turn off heating for that room and cover the baseboard radiator with a quilt)