Borked 2.5" External HDD

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
edited August 2007 in Hardware
I managed to salvage a 30GB laptop HDD which I have just put into an external USB enclosure. All the files showed up and I was able to access and delete a few of them. I then decided to format the drive and I think I Borked it while trying to do that. It just hung for the longest time and then told me it wasn't able to format the drive. I tried exiting but the info box and window had frozen. I was only able to exit by unplugging it via the USB port.

Now the computer doesn't even see the drive. I think I may have messed up the boot sector or something.
Anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Did you try pulling the USB cable from it's computer connection and moving it to another port? Also, just try removing the HDD from it's external enclosure's connector and then reconnect it. If you can again 'see' the drive, I'd immediately perform a Windows Check Disk operation on it.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Tried what you suggested. When plugging it into a different USB port, the computer recognised the disk and loaded the drivers. It did not get to the final stage where it states the device is ready for use. It also did not show up with the rest of the drives.
    I tried to go to disk management to see it I could pick it up there. Computer manager wouldn't even open. Gives me an error message along the lines of "The specified I/O operation on device......was not completed.