Overclocking Dells

BoneBone Canadia
edited August 2007 in Hardware
Can you overclock a dell, and if so does it void warranty.

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    The BIOS on Dell's make it almost impossible to overclock. Unless you can find a BIOS hack that allows you to change voltages and such, you're locked into what ever Dell specs allow.

Technically, if you WERE to overclock a Dell, that would definitely void the warranty.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Overclocking Dells is an oxymoron.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Overclocking Dells is an oxymoron.
    AGAIN, you call me an Ox and a Moron... :rarr:

Oh... nevermind :o
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    AGAIN, you call me an Ox and a Moron...
    Don't be paranoid...even if it's justified. :rolleyes:
    edited August 2007
    Bone, I am not aware of any mass production off-the-shelf computers, such as Dell, Apple, HP, or Gateway that are overclockable. They generally procure their parts in orders of 100,000 or more at a time. Such parts, especially the motherboards, are designed for mass production channels and not for high performance. (Yes, even Apple.) If high performance is the goal, you would need to look towards building your own or purchasing the hyper-expensive boutique brands, such as Alienware or Dell XPS.

For the most, to tweak a stock Dell, HP, or Gateway, you'd need to gut the computer, and get new parts - case, PSU, DRAM, motherboard, CPU cooler, case fans. In most cases (literally and figuratively), you'd be able to retain the CPU, hard drive, and optical drive. This is not an exaggeration. This would be tantamount to preparing a family Chevy or Ford for professional stock car racing. There would be little or nothing original when you finished preparing.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited August 2007
    the desktop I am getting is an XPS, I feel like such a bad person because I built my last computer but am unable to this time due to a variety of reasons.
    edited August 2007
    Well then, that changes things!

Would you please tell us what motherboard your XPS will have. It could very well be that your Dell is overclockable. XPS Dells usually have very nice hardware.
    edited August 2007
    I feel like such a bad person because I built my last computer but am unable to this time due to a variety of reasons
    Ah, nonsense. No such thing as "bad" or good in this context. It's a matter doing what you can with the opportunities available, which in your case were limited.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited August 2007
    I am actually at work right now, when I go on dell site and look on my order I don't see anything that sounds like a mobo. here is the list that is there though and you can see, otherwise I will be home in about 4 hours and will post mobo than.

1 XPS 720,CDKE, Q6600 (2.40GHZ),DCT,8MB, B $2,818.00
    1 DELL USB KEYBOARD $0.00
    1 DELL OPTICAL USB MOUSE $0.00
    1 VISTA PREMIUM STICKER,DIM $0.00
    1 2GB DDR2 SDRAM AT 667MHZ-2X1GB,DIM,X $0.00
    1 NO MODEM REQUESTED $0.00
    1 AS501 FT PNL SPKRS,ULTRASHARP,DIM,X $0.00
    1 NO OPTICAL DRIVE $0.00
    1 16X DVD+R/RW CD-RW COMBO DRIVE,XPS720 $0.00
    1 X-FI PCI SOUND CARD,VISTA,XPS 720 $0.00
    1 20IN (20.0 IN) 2007WFP,DIM,X $0.00
    1 768MB NVIDIA 8800 GTX,X $0.00
    1 NO FLOPPY DRIVE, XPS $0.00
    1 320GB NCQ SERIAL ATA,7200 RPM,DIM,X $0.00
    1 ADOBE ACROBAT READER 7.0,DIM $0.00
    1 NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2007, 30DAY,DIM $0.00
    1 ISP SEARCH ASST PORTAL,DIM/INSP $0.00
    1 VISTA,PC-RESTORE, DIM/INSP $0.00
    1 ROXIO CREATOR LE,V,DIM/INSP $0.00
    1 WIN VISTA HOME PREM,ENG,DIM $0.00
    1 DELL SUPPORT 3.4,DIM/INSP $0.00
    1 RESOURCE DVD, XPS 720 $0.00
    1 DELL SUPPORT CENTER 1.0,DIM/INSP $0.00
    1 NO DIGITAL IMAGING SOFTWARE REQUESTED $0.00
    1 NO DIGITAL MUSIC SOFTWARE REQUESTED $0.00
    1 PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH MORE DETAILS $0.00
    1 MS WORKS 8.5,DAO,ENG, DIM $0.00
    1 DATASAFE ONLINE DIM/INS/XPS $0.00
    1 DATASAFE ONLINE 10GB,1YR,DIM/INSP $0.00
    1 XPS WARRANTY SPRT, DIMENSION, INITIAL YR $0.00
    1 NBD OS,DIM, XPS 720,GTN,INIT YR, RA $0.00
    1 HW WRTY + SVC,DIM,XPS 720,INIT,GTN $0.00
    1 DIMENSION, SHIPPING AND HANDLING $0.00
    1 NO WARRANTY,YRS 2/3(DIM,INSP,NBD) $0.00
    1 XPS,DATASAFE 10GB,1YR(INCL W/PRICE),DHS $0.00
    1 DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP ACTIVATION, INFO $0.00
    edited August 2007
    Given that they did not specify the motherboard, it is probably not an overclocking board. But the good news:
    Wow, I was sweating that one out!

Bone, I have no doubt you will enjoy your computer very much. There is nothing wrong that machine. It should prove to be a fast computer. I do though, have a software recommendation. Before you run any programs or do much of anything with the computer, uninstall and remove all of the BS adware, fluff. If it were my computer, I'd also get rid of the Norton suite right away. Substitute using freeware AVG anti-virus, and Ad-Aware, and SpyBot. To help clean out all that junk that will serve mainly to slow down the computer, use RegScrubXP and MyUninstaller. Keep that machine software-happy from day one!

Will be connecting directly to the Internet through a modem or via a router?
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited August 2007
    through wireless, I have a usb thing to use wireless and I have a router and all that.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2007
    Actually, I recall that some XPS models have limited overclocking capability. Some of them actually come overclocked out of the factory (like the XPS 720 H2C)--not sure how adjustable they would be though. I didn't see anything with regards to the regular XPS 720 and overclocking though.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited August 2007
    even without oc'ing i should have a more than adequate computer for gaming, correct?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Bone wrote:
    even without oc'ing i should have a more than adequate computer for gaming, correct?

Correct.
  • dnorf87dnorf87 Northern Virginia
    edited August 2007
    I'm surprised to be the first person to say that you could build a very nice machine for (probably quite a bit) less money, that you would be able to overclock without any problems.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited August 2007
    it was not suggested by anyone because if you had read previous post I stated I am unable to take that route for various reasons.
    edited August 2007
    Bone wrote:
    it was not suggested by anyone because if you had read previous post I stated I am unable to take that route for various reasons.

The only advantage you get by going with Dell is an extra $1000 out of your pocket, and a warranty.
    edited August 2007
    Dnorf, Sir, kindly read all the preceding posts, not just the last two or three. Everyone participating in this thread, including Mr. Bone is aware of the advantages of a home-built system. Unfortunately, Bone was unable, due to no fault of his own, to source the necessary parts and build a computer.
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Dnorf, Sir, kindly read all the preceding posts, not just the last two or three. Everyone participating in this thread, including Mr. Bone is aware of the advantages of a home-built system. Unfortunately, Bone was unable, due to no fault of his own, to source the necessary parts and build a computer.

It doesn't make any sense to me at all. Sorry.

Anyway, since that is a newer XPS, you should have one of those motherboards that you can overclock (using NVidia nTune...) but that's as far as it'll go. Plus, you get the nice proprietary motherboard/power supply. The power supply should have 2 20/24 pin ATX power connectors. I have no clue why they do that, but they do.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited August 2007
    I am unable to build a computer my self for the following reasons.

- The only computer store within a 2 hour drive no longer exist

- I do not own a credit card my self, it is my parents so they decide how it can be used.

- my parents are untrusting people and will only buy from highly known companys (dell)

so you see, I can not buy locally for my parts, and I can not buy online for my parts. So I took the option that was available that best suited my needs.
    edited August 2007
    And I think you are doing a good job under a difficult situation!
  • edited August 2007
    Looks like it should be a very nice system, Bone. Too bad your parents wouldn't let you order an Alienware instead (they are actually owned by Dell for the last 2 years or so). That would have come with a mobo that is overclocking-friendly. But that system should be very fast even at it's stock speed.

And while Vista isn't my first choice for a good gaming OS, it will still perform half decent with your 2 gigs of ram. I have Vista Premium on my Dell lappy and it's not too bad. ;)
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Bone wrote:
    1 2GB DDR2 SDRAM AT 667MHZ-2X1GB,DIM,X $0.00

Is there a reason you are not going with DDR800? Is that not an option?
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited August 2007
    muddocktor wrote:
    Looks like it should be a very nice system, Bone. Too bad your parents wouldn't let you order an Alienware instead (they are actually owned by Dell for the last 2 years or so). That would have come with a mobo that is overclocking-friendly. But that system should be very fast even at it's stock speed.

And while Vista isn't my first choice for a good gaming OS, it will still perform half decent with your 2 gigs of ram. I have Vista Premium on my Dell lappy and it's not too bad. ;)

well the good thing is that I have an XP disc and all that, so If the need comes I can always dual boot.