Bioshock - a DRM infection?

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited August 2007 in Science & Tech
Like many consumers, I don't like being forced into installation of Digital rights management software, or DRM for short. Clicking the agree button is just apart of the normal process during installation of virtually all software. But when was the last time you actually read the fine print? It appears the industry is trying every thing they can, even if it teeters on being malicious.

The companies do have the right to make money from their products and not have it roam the internet and get downloaded for free, but the problem is while they are trying to keep hackers and pirates at bay they are also ticking off the consumers whom actually buy thier products. Some might perceive DRM to be part of the "game" when dealing with software, but it appears that with the PC version of Bioshock, the new game from 2KGames, it literally is a part of the game.

SecuROM a solution to DRM issues by non other them Sony (surprise, surprise) is the tag along culprit on this game. SecuROM works much like Steam or the iTunes system. Users will have to weigh the options when installing this game, even if it's just the demo!

The Inquirer

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I heard that you can only install the game twice as well, and if you upgrade your system constantly, you're hosed. Despite that I have no intention of buying this game.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    2K games has changed it so you can install it on 5 PCs up to 5 times each.

I'll still be giving this game a wide berth as a result.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    If you uninstall the game before performing your upgrade, then the "activation" is returned to you. If you find you're unable to uninstall before the change, a call to SecuROM or 2K will help you.

Plus, they've upped the available activations to 5, due to complaints.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    If you uninstall the game before performing your upgrade, then the "activation" is returned to you. If you find you're unable to uninstall before the change, a call to SecuROM or 2K will help you.
    If this is correct and barring any other side effects, the DRM in this case is rather benign.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    If this is correct and barring any other side effects, the DRM in this case is rather benign.

Sure... but how does it work if/when you upgrade your hardware? I'd hate to have to uninstall and reinstall if I were constantly upgrading my computer the way I used to.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    If I understand (and someone else may be better at enlightening the both of us), it isn't affected by hardware changes. I think they suggest the uninstall just in case your hardware change b0rks your OS install.
  • edited August 2007
    Does any of this FUD apply to the Steam version?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    rapture wrote:
    Does any of this FUD apply to the Steam version?

Nope. One of the things I like about steam is how much it simplifies copyright management.
  • edited August 2007
    I was under the impression securom, and the restrictions were bundled with the steam version...

At very least, the FAQs on steampowered seem to suggest it's bundled.

Which frankly, is the most retarded thing i've ever seen.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I don't think so, because that's not how steam works... Any computer I log into steam from, I'm allowed to DL and play any of my games, as long as I'm not logged into it already somewhere else. It's not like you have to enter a key or have the CD in the drive. I can't imagine that this game works differently than all of their other games.

I mean, it doesn't even go through a visible 'install' process, it just downloads and works.
  • edited August 2007
    http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=739

Very steam specific securom instructions to just be coincidence.

It doesn't make sense that the drm infestation is bundled into the steam version, since its basically great at stopping copying really (though unprotected exes must make cracking the securom version a doddle, thinking about it). I love and dislike steam for many things, but i really like the ability to install it anywhere and play my games. Which is why, given the choice, i buy a game on steam rather than on CD/DVD

I'll never buy bioshock with this in place, which is a great shame as i liked the demo on my 360. regardless i won't buy it for either.
  • edited August 2007
    I still don't see the big deal. 5 installations on 5 computers is 25 versions of the game you can play before you have to totally uninstall to be able to install again.

Who the hell is going to be affected by that really?

I'd rather enjoy a good game than get upset about copy protection and EULAs.
  • edited August 2007
    The point is, customers shouldn't be forced with these restrictions.

Pirating the game is actually beneficial (other than financially) as you don't get excess crap installed, nor any restrictions.

I can live with the DVD checks, and that kinda thing. Serial keys etc. But invasive DRM that punishes a consumer should not be there...

And the minimum amount of installs to cause a lockout is 5... bearing in mind that you can only play the game with the bloody DVD in the drive (i'd imagine), isn't that just slightly stupid? Whats the point of restricting future installs...

The whole thing is retarded, with regards to limited installs. Install it as much as you wan't, which isn't against the EULA. Most to tend to state you can only play it once at a time, which is what CD/DVD checks tend to do.

Thing is, most people are whining about future problems that are gonna happen if companies like Securom and Starforce continue to exist. Do you want to get to a stage where you got your single key, that had to be revoked... then have to call 4 different DRM companies, to get all the keys for the 10 games you've got installed when Windows shafts itself?

I bloody don't.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited August 2007
    I think we can solve that problem in the long run if everyone does what i do everyday.

I personnaly check before buying a game if it uses a DRM, principaly starforce, wich is a real pain in the ass for the game appreciation imo.

If it use a DRM, i'll find a pirate version. If it doesnt (you'll find that some game compagny took the nice decision to stop using DRM on their games) then i buy it.

There's some game compagny out there that are totaly against DRM, like stardock (1st one that comes to my mind because they have been in a little mediatic war with starforce lately). Any games from stardock now comes w/o DRM, and w/o cd-check, you install the game, you store the cd in ur closet and you can play whenever you want. You just need to register into a 3rd party software with the cd-key to get access to the lastest patch/content. I think its how every games should work !

I've bought their lastest game Galactic civilization 2 just for the cause and encouraging those who makes games in the good way, i didnt even played the game yet lol ;)

Why would i buy i game, then install it and look for a NO-CD crack on the net the second after ? My .02
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Meh if the game is something compelling or something I want, I will buy it anyways... Dont really care what comes on it or what it isnatlls as long as it works when I want it to.
  • edited August 2007
    Not sure how much you know about Steam or if you actually read the Q&A you linked but I still think you're blowing this way out of proportion.

None of those 'points' you've raised really apply to the Steam version anyway. If Valve go out of business in 10 years and I can't play Bioshock any more then who cares?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2007
    rapture wrote:
    None of those 'points' you've raised really apply to the Steam version anyway. If Valve go out of business in 10 years and I can't play Bioshock any more then who cares?

Valve has addressed this question a hundred times.

If they go out of business they will do a steam update that bypasses there authentication servers.

Then you could just get a gcf pack from somewhere like filefront.

However what people should be worried about is when securerom goes out of business.... There will be no way to activate the games.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I'm disappointed by this, really.

The game itself looks awesome. Unfortunately, I don't want to install a game on my machine that comes with extra software, particularly if that software (like SecuROM) runs as a resident process. That's just a waste of my system resources all because other people might want to steal the game.

Unfortunately that makes me much less likely to play the game, because I won't steal it, but I won't buy it either because I don't want DRM infections.

DRM, rootkit, and spyware are three kinds of malware that make me shy away from use of any product that comes bundled with them. It's just sad that an otherwise potentially great game comes with this malware.
  • edited August 2007
    Valve has addressed this question a hundred times.
    I wasnt actually asking the question but I guess its good to know my outdated and overplayed games will be safe by the time they cease trading.