QuickPAD Note Taker

mtroxmtrox Minnesota
edited August 2007 in Hardware
I've got a friend looking at this QuickPAD notetaker. She just wants to take notes in meetings, then carry it back to her desktop and dump it in.

Anyone used one of these? PC World review.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Does this conjure up the ghost of Newton? Hmmm...

Sorry, never heard of the device your friend is considering. After reading the review, which you linked, I find this gizmo intriguing. I personally could make very good use of a standalone keyboard-based note taker. I would love to have reams of notes, interviews, meeting minutes and so forth organized in an electronic notebook (notebook computer is too large). Wonder why no pictures in teh PC World review?
    edited August 2007
    I just went to QuickPad's site and quickly perused the device's specifications. That machine is nearly the size of the laptop computer on which I'm typing now -- four-year old IBM ThinkPad. This strikes me as possibly one of those attempted breakthrough devices that doesn't quite become the niche owner for which it was intended. I'd really like to see one in a store and play with it for a while. Perhaps it's really lightweight and nimble. Maybe it will live up to its promise.

But base on the pictures, I just don't see a big advantage to carrying around a notetaking device that has nearly the same dimensions of a full-fledged, do-anything laptop computer.

The QuickPad site seems to be designed by someone who is clueless about marketing and aesthetics. It's almost as if they don't want you to see the QuickPad's capabilities in an attractive, graphics-enriched layout. There is only one good picture, which is contained in a PDF file that can be downloaded. Do these guys want to sell their product or not?

And what's with PC World? They're also too cheap to post a picture.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited August 2007
    Yea me too. But....for her she sees that it's only $200 and one pound. She's not a tiny-Blackberry-keyboard type. I'd like to see it in store too.
    edited August 2007
    she sees that it's only $200 and one pound
    One pound! OK, I missed that key specification. This sounds like something that I could really, really enjoy. I'd love to toss out my notepads. For me, I hate the hassle of coming back to the office and having to collate notes and papers and having to decipher scrawl that I took down. Also, I've shattered both wrists, twice in separate accidents, and sometimes they lock up when I'm handwriting. I have no problems with a keyboard.

I still wouldn't purchase the QuickPad without first being able to give it a hands-on evaluation. The keyboard quality and design could make a huge difference.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:

I still wouldn't purchase the QuickPad without first being able to give it a hands-on evaluation. The keyboard quality and design could make a huge difference.

Agreed. Keyboard quality/feel is huge.