PS3 Update = bigger WU's

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Folding@Home
It looks as if F@H has added a new core for the PS3 folders with 427 points instead of the 296 point projects that had been over abundant. I noticed this last night when my new roommate and I called it a night for gaming and flipped on the PS3 folding again :)

I am not sure how fast the system is completing these WU's but if it is in the same time frame as the old cores the PS3's will have been boosted to above 1200 PPD

This increase in points will make the PS3 the fastest and cheapest way to get a folding farm online. Especially if you can find used 20GB models.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited August 2007
    I am not sure how fast the system is completing these WU's but if it is in the same time frame as the old cores the PS3's will have been boosted to above 1200 PPD

If you can capture benchmarks to show the difference, please do :) .

My experience with PC WUs has been that the frame time gets longer with larger WUs, though the yield does get better. You might get an improvement in PPD, but I don't think it will be directly proportional to the size of the WU.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    im on the ps3 now and ithas completed 2 of the new wu's with a 3rd it the works. each being worth 456 points. which equals 1368ppd but it will get a 4th atleast 25% done...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Good! glad to hear it
    edited August 2007
    So in turn we can get 3.25 of the new WU's crunched in a 24 hour timeline :) pretty good if you ask me.
    edited August 2007
    The PS3 in my house is getting 518 Points per project which means it is getting roughly 1670 ppd.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    I'm holding off on a PS3 until they come out with the 65nm process cell. Anyone heard anything about when?

Also, I'm watching IcronticHQ (primesuspect's PS3). I was wondering if it was not folding 24/7 or if everyone is not getting the same WUs.