Upgrade to XP Pro on new laptop

vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
edited August 2007 in Science & Tech
I just purchased a "new" Dell Latitude from Dell Outlet (scratch and dent). I have not gone through the initial registration, so I am not sure what software is on the computer, but I do not believe there is much if any software (certainly not MS Office or any other elaborate software). The OS is XP Home. I have the backup discs (and keys) for XP Pro from an old laptop that no longer functions.

If I want to upgrade the new laptop to XP Pro, what do I need to do? I assume I can simply use the XP Pro discs and reformat the hard drive. There is no data to be lost (I assume) as this is a new purchase. If I install XP Pro, I do NOT want to have both operating systems on the computer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    The XP discs you have, are they genuine Microsoft CDs with the Microsoft hologram, or are they restore discs supplied by the manufacturer of your former computer?

OH, I just reread your post - "backup discs." What you could do is run a test. Don't remove any software from your computer. Set it to boot from CD, and let it boot with restore CD, see if it takes you to the Windows installation screen. If you don't select "install" and don't format anything, the test won't cause any damage. Some restore CDs (not genuine MS OS discs) will work exactly like a standalone MS Windows disc. You would though, have to activate the installation with Microsoft.