No POST, no Video

NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Hardware
System has been running at stock speeds for 2 weeks. I recently moved back to SD for school, the computer survived the move. I started it up no problems upon arrival and shut down for the night. Woke up the next morning and the computer would not display video - this was 2 days ago. There is no speaker in this new case, apparently, so I cannot tell if the motherboard POSTs.

I have tried the following:
Removed one, both, sticks of ram
Taken entire setup out of case
Reset CMOS (both with jumper and by popping battery out)
Unplugged HDs and CD-ROM, leaving only vid card, RAM
Reseated everything, replugged everything (even the 4 prong plug, Thrax)

Hardware:
C2D E6320
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
2GB OCZ-8000
Hiper 530W
1950Pro

What occurs upon starting the computer:
Fans spin, HD spins, monitor stays amber

I cannot part swap to test my system against someone else's, unfortunately. What is going on here?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Stop turning your PC off. I'll have something more constructive when I'm not on my crackberry.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I recently moved back to SD
    That's what did it - moving back to South Dakota.

Hope you get your computer fixed.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    San Diego > South Dakota. ;)

Thanks, Thrax. I really have no clue what's up with this thing. I've tried everything I can think of and am out of ideas. :(

BuddyJ suggested swapping the CMOS battery out, I'm trying to track one down but would it be worth trying?
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    Be SURE all of your motherboard and, if applicable, video card power cables are securely connected. You might reseat them to be sure and check your mobo manual for one you might have overlooked.
    edited September 2007
    My suggestion is to disassemble the whole PC, with the BIOS set on reset until you're done, and then reassemble it on a piece of cardboard.
    edited September 2007
    CMOS battery

It's not a specialized battery. Any hardware or department store should have them. Very inexpensive, too.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    My suggestion is to disassemble the whole PC, with the BIOS set on reset until you're done, and then reassemble it on a piece of cardboard.

I'm with ya Thrax..... Yank that puppy apart and start with just the MB, CPU, and RAM on a piece of cardboard....

Pull the battery for 30 seconds.

And start over......

Piece by piece you add the crap back in

Cowboy
    edited September 2007
    Did both of those suggestions twice already. I'm going to leave the jumper on to reset the CMOS again, but it's looking bleak.

I'm not sure how to recognize a hardware failure, but is this a symptom of a crapped out motherboard?
    edited September 2007
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Did both of those suggestions twice already. I'm going to leave the jumper on to reset the CMOS again, but it's looking bleak.

I'm not sure how to recognize a hardware failure, but is this a symptom of a crapped out motherboard?

Potentially, but unlikely as Gigabyte has designed your board to do what we were doing. Maybe it's a bum... Hard to say w/o components to swap in.
    edited September 2007
    I had been running it at stock speeds for at least a week before this occured, though. It's the same symptoms as when I WAS overclocking, but this time it was at stock speeds.

This is why I'm so baffled by it.
    edited September 2007
    is this a symptom of a crapped out motherboard?
    If you had already tested a known, working video card, I'd say yes, it does look like the motherboard is damaged. Maybe you can find an extremely inexpensive PCI card to test with, or a friend's video card?

I have had situations very similar before where I was just completely baffled - same symptoms as yours, just to find out that the video card had died. I have fried a motherboard before due to high overclocking on a board that didn't have adequate MOSFET cooling, but out of probably 20+ motherboards, I've never had one deteriorate on its own. That includes motherboards from Abit, ECS, Asus, MSI, and Iwill.
    edited September 2007
    This Gigabyte has more mosfet cooling than any other board out there. But if it's doing it at stock speeds, then the board is a bit wonky imo. I still reserve the idea that the board still works okay. I'm skeptical of hardware failure on enthusiast components being ran according to commonly-accepted parameters.
    edited September 2007
    Yes, I agree. We're at a standstill until he can try a vid card from another computer.

Nights, maybe it's above and I just didn't see it - have you tried just one module of RAM, and tried moving it to different slots?
    edited September 2007
    Yes, Leo, one of the first things I tried, I'm afraid.

I'll ask a buddy of mine about his videocard. Thanks to both of you for keeping on this.
    edited September 2007
    An update:

Tried a friend's videocard in my system, wouldn't show video. Tried mine in his system, showed video. Tried a new battery and that didn't do the trick, either. Motherboard's the cluprit.

So, now that it looks like the PCIe slot's and a RMA's in order, I'm pondering whether or not I even want to keep that one around or if I should just jump up to the budget overclocker P35 Gigabyte just released - GA-P35-DS3R.

Thanks again, guys.
    edited September 2007
    That's a good board.